Flat top grills are an alternative to traditional ones to grill quickly and evenly. Shopping for the best portable flat top grill for home use can be daunting especially when you don’t know where to start.
If that is the case, dive into these 5 wonderful options available right below. You will be surprised!
Best portable tabletop flat-top grills for home
- Cuisinart CGG-501 Gourmet Gas Griddle, Two-Burner – Best overall
- Blackstone Table Top Grill – 17 Inch Portable Gas Griddle – Budget-friendly option
- Royal Gourmet 22 Inch Tabletop Grill, Portable Propane Gas Griddle – Large cooking surface
Best portable freestanding flat-top grills for home
- Camp Chef Flat Top Grill – Best overall
- Blackstone 36 inch Outdoor Flat Top Gas Grill Griddle Station – Restaurant grade
Best portable tabletop flat-top grills for home
Cuisinart CGG-501 Gourmet Gas Griddle, Two-Burner – Best overall
- 285-SQUARE-INCH COOKING SURFACE: The griddle features a 285 square inch cold-rolled steel cooking surface.
- STAINLESS STEEL BURNERS: Features two stainless steel burners combining to produce 20,000 BTUs that is powered by a twist-to-start ignition.
- PORTABLE DESIGN: The griddle measures 19.5 x 20 x 9 inches. The grill weighs only 30 lbs., making it easy for transport and ideal for decks, patios and balconies, camping, tailgating and more.
- BUILT-IN HOSE FOR 20 LB LP TANK: The griddle features a built in hose made to work with a 20 lb LP tank, allowing you to cook longer and more efficiently.
- Generous cooking area
- Easy to store
- Perfect portability
- The dome is quite shallow.
This small flat top can generate 20,000 BTUs of heat. It features a twist ignition, making it a piece of cake to light. Two burners give you plenty of heat control. The thick, cold-rolled steel surface allows you to tackle any type of food, including a big steak meal.
It is no doubt that you can easily store this griddle. It is suitable for all sorts of outdoor activities that involve grilling such as camping, tailgating, picnics or poolside parties.
The only drawback so far is the shallow dome. You can’t grill a whole turkey due to its size.
|Total cooking surface||285 square inch|
|Dimensions||21 x 20.5 x 9 in|
|Highlight Features||Twist to start ignition and heat control, extra thick, cold rolled steel surface, built-in hose made for 20lb LP tanks.|
Cuisinart CGG-501 Gourmet Gas Griddle, Two-Burner is a restaurant-quality griddle that will blow up your kitchen with its superb grilling capacity. A best-overall choice!
Blackstone Table Top Grill – 17 Inch Portable Gas Griddle – Budget-friendly option
- CONVENIENT AND PORTABLE - This portable grill is built with an easy to use electric igniter, uses convenient 1 pound propane bottles for fuel, and has a built in grease catcher. Perfect for camping, tailgating, road trips, hunting and everyday outdoor use
- EASY TO STORE - Simply store the griddle top upside down on top of the griddle body after use to save space; Carry by hand
- NO HASSLE CLEANUP - Blackstone makes cleanup a breeze with this table top gas griddle; Simply wipe it off with a paper towel. No fuss cooking allows you more time to enjoy the outdoors
- SPACIOUS COOKING SURFACE - This premium Blackstone griddle offers 260 square inches (15.25in x 17in) of heavy duty cooking surface for versatility and durability
- Easy to clean
- A lightweight and compact option
- Affordable price
- Should not be stored outdoor
This flat top doesn’t consume your kitchen space. To store it, you simply put the top upside down on the body. The griddle features Blackstone finish, making it easy and less messy to clean up.
What I love about this flat top is its fast and even heating. It features a stainless steel H burner that heats up less than a minute. Thanks to the H shape, the heat is distributed evenly through the surface. You can grill veggies, steaks, hamburgers and chicken breasts.
There is a potential risk of rusting the griddle, therefore, you shouldn’t store it outdoor.
|Total cooking surface||260 square inches|
|Dimensions||17.5 x 18 x 8.5 in|
|Highlight Features||Electric igniter, uses convenient 1 pound propane bottles, stainless steel “H” burner|
Blackstone Table Top Grill – 17 Inch Portable Gas Griddle is an affordable option for grilled-food enthusiasts. Portable and convenient enough for any grilling opportunity!
Royal Gourmet 22 Inch Tabletop Grill, Portable Propane Gas Griddle – Large cooking surface
- 2 separately controlled burners with 8,500 BTU each, up to 17,000 BTU cooking power
- 17.6”L x 13.5”W, totally 238 square inches porcelain enamel coated griddle area
- Durable stainless steel control panel with piezo ignition system
- Side grease cup to collect oil while cooking
- Well-made griddle
- Perfect to cook multiple things at a time
- Clean up is a breeze
- Great grease trap
- Should have a lower heat setting
This small griddle can cook up to 11 patties at the same time. It is ready to serve your family with a full meal on the go. Two burners generate in total 17000 BTUs of heat. It features a porcelain enameled griddle top, stainless-steel control panel and a piezo ignition system. Grilling is never that easy.
One feature that I love is the removable grease cup. What is great about it? The cup is large enough to hold a large amount of grease, so you don’t have to empty it during the grilling. Plus, it is removable, making the cleaning process effortless.
Now, what do people often complain about this grill? You have to babysit it during the cooking process because the heat can get too hot. Some people suggest a lower heat setting for this unit.
|Total cooking surface||238 square inches|
|Dimensions||22 x 18 x 9.4 in|
|Highlight Features||2 separately controlled burners with 8,500 BTU each, up to 17,000 BTU cooking power, durable stainless steel control panel with the piezo ignition system|
Do you need to feed a family with good grilled food? Royal Gourmet 22 Inch Tabletop Grill, Portable Propane Gas Griddle is your ultimate solution.
Best portable freestanding flat-top grills for home
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill – Best overall
- Includes huge interchangeable flat top griddle 20.5" x 31"
- Griddle surface: 604 sq. in - Grilling surface: 501 sq. in
- Four 12,000 BTU stainless steel burners with Matchless Ignition
- Two large folding shelves
- Roller wheels for easy transport
- Sufficient cooking surface for a large group
- A practical grease tray
- The griddle sides tend to heat up from time to time.
This grill is sturdily made using 7 gauge rolled steel. It is 1,80-inch thick, which stays durable through time test. It comes with 4 burners, generating 12,000 BTUs of even heat through the cooking surface.
I am bewitched by the design of this unit. It features 2 side tables for added space for prep work. There are two shelves underneath, which is perfect for storage.
This grill weighs 142 lbs, hefty enough to move around your house. No worries! Camp Chef offers 2 wheels to make transport easier. Plus, you can detach the griddle top to clean and carry separately.
Camp Chef also comes with a smart grease management system. Cooking grease and oil will follow a small hole in the corner and stay in a bucket until the grilling process finishes. Easy to deal with and easy to clean!
When using this unit, you need to pay attention to the griddle sides because they tend to heat up. Other than that, this grill is a great catch for home use.
|Total cooking surface||604 sq. in|
|BTU’s /hour||12,000 BTU|
|Dimensions||62.5″ 37″ x 22″|
|Highlight Features||Includes huge interchangeable flat top griddle 20.5″ x 31″, four 12,000 BTU stainless steel burners with Matchless Ignition, Two large folding shelves|
Camp Chef Flat Top Grill has everything to offer. Large cooking surface, Ease of transport and super convenience. Your backyard BBQ party can’t be great without this amazing grill.
Blackstone 36 inch Outdoor Flat Top Gas Grill Griddle Station – Restaurant grade
- Assembled Dimensions: 62.50" L x 36" H x 22" W | Weight: 120 lbs
- Propane gas fueled grill. Propane tank fasteners included.
- This unit comes equipped with a bottom shelf and a side shelf giving the user a removable cutting board, convenient paper towel holder, and strategically placed trash bag hooks PLUS Blackstone's new rear grease management system to help eliminate mess.
- Four independently controlled 15, 000 BTU stainless Steel burners make a total of 60, 000 BTUs controlled low to high for versatile cooking options
- Affordable price
- Easy to clean
- High-quality griddle
- Grease drain problems still occur.
Why Backstones Flat top Gas Grill is a perfect option for home use? It features a restaurant-sized cooking surface. With 720 square inches, this unit can sustain your empty belly during the day, from breakfast to lunch.
Whatever you can think of can be grilled in this station: eggs, broccoli, steak, potatoes, pancakes and many more. You can start this unit in one go, simple with a battery-powered push button. It is easy to assemble and handle, removing the headache from outdoor cooking.
This grill station is certainly well-made. Stainless steel burners, steel frame, and rolled steel cooktop, you invest in a lifetime machine. What’s more, it comes with a set of four wheels making transport a piece of cake.
Things I don’t like? There is one thing. Grease drain problems still occur, so you need to be extra careful using it sometimes.
|Total cooking surface||720 sq in.|
|BTU’s /hour||60, 000|
|Dimensions||40 x 25 x 14.5 in|
|Highlight Features||Equipped with Blackstone’s new and improved side shelf, Adjustable heat zones, 4 solid stainless steel burners allow you to set 4 different cooking zones|
Blackstone 36 inch Outdoor Flat Top Gas Grill Griddle Station is a restaurant-grade unit. Sturdy, versatility and excellent quality, you certainly don’t want to refuse this great deal.
How to choose the best portable flat top grill for home (buying guide)
When looking for a suitable portable flat top grill, you need to consider some factors below.
How big you want your flat top grill will be? Do you want a medium cooking surface for small, cozy parties or a large one for big outing events? That’s what you need to take into account first.
What’s more, if you want to use a flat top grill indoor, think about storage space. Those who have a small kitchen should consider buying a small size top grill rather than a massive one.
The drain hole
Grease is a big problem with flat top grills. Because of the construction, these items can leave a huge mess after cooking highly marinated meats. That’s why you need to make sure that the grill offers a big-enough drainage hole.
Should we use gas or electric-powered flat top?
It depends on your preference. When it comes to portability, a gas model is more practical. However, if you want to use a grill indoor, electric-powered models are way more convenient.
Number of burners
The number of burners determines the BTU rating. The higher this rating is, the more heat a model generates. The amount of food and cooking time can greatly differentiate between 2-burners and 4-burners grills.
Choose it wisely!
Who makes the best portable flat top grill for home use?
Cuisinart focus on innovation and performance. Their grills are well-known for being sturdy, excellent at the quality and easy to handle. This brand has received numerous awards and accolades such as Good Design Awards or Gold Summit International Award.
Blackstone is a young manufacturer with great vision. Their dedication to grilling delicacy and superiority distinguishes them with their competitors. Grills from Blackstone are high in quality, super versatile and convenient.
Talking about the best grills, you can’t ignore Royal Gourmet. The manufacturer takes care of users’ grilling experience so that they pay attention to the innovation and design as well as durability.
Flat top stations from Royal Gourmet are among the sturdiest and toughest units you can find in the market.
Camp Chef offers a wide range of versatile units to cook outdoor. Their stoves, smokers, flattop are specifically made to fit your home and patio. Using Camp Chef products, you can enhance your outdoor grilling experience without compromising your meal.
Is cooking on a flat top grill healthy?
Cooking on a flat top has now become an alternative method to enjoy grilled food. With a similar construction as a griddle, a flat top allows the food to bake in your moisture.
That way, you use less oil than norming grills. It also removes any risk of burning, which happens quite often with traditional barbecue. This cooking method maintains the original grilling taste and all the moist as well as nutrients during cooking.
How hot should a flat top grill be?
Cooking food on a flat top could bring you a lot of benefits, especially when it comes to the mouth-watering crispy browning crust and amazing aromas. Yet, not everyone achieves this state of cooking simply because the flat top isn’t hot enough.
How hot should it be?
To get to the right browning crust, start slowly with heat. During the cooking process, you can increase the temperature to 310F to get the noticeable browning skin. At 320F to 400F, the skin will be caramelized.
Beyond this heat setting, the food can no longer maintain its rich flavor.
What foods can be cooked on a flat top grill?
You can cook almost anything on a flat top grill from eggs, burgers to seafood. Since the flat top offers no grates, so highly marinated meats, when cooked, could leave a mess.
If you are a big fan of the smoky taste or the signature grill marks, a flat top might not be your perfect option.
Can you use cast iron on a flat top grill?
Simple answer: no. You need to handle your flat top grill carefully when it comes to this matter. Dragging any cast iron skillets over the grill could easily leave a scratch or two on the surface.
The bottom line
Whether you are looking for a portable flat top on the go or for home use, it is essential to check out the brands, specifications and few features before purchasing the product.
These amazing flat-top grills above exceed my expectation, therefore, they deserve your attention too. Have fun shopping.