Getting bored with cooking inside your perfectly conditioned kitchen? Let’s venture outdoors to enjoy an instant party in the depth of winter of the thick of the summer heat with the best grill for beginners!
- George Foreman 15-Serving Indoor/Outdoor Electric Grill GFO240S – Best overall
- Weber 52020001 Q1400 Electric Grill – Best for apartments
- Charles Oakley Hot Shot Smokeless Electric Grill – Best smokeless grill
- Weber 44010001 Spirit II E-210 2-Burner Liquid Propane Grill – Best overall
- Coleman RoadTrip LXE Portable Propane Grill – Best for camping
- Megamaster 820-0065C Propane Gas Grill – Best budget option
- Weber 15501001 Performer Deluxe Charcoal Grill – Best overall
- Weber Original Kettle Charcoal Grill – Best budget option
- Char-Griller E56720 AKORN Kamado Charcoal Grill – Best for slow roast
George Foreman Electric Grill GFO240S – Best overall
- 15+ Servings - It’s tailgate time! The 240 square inches of circular grilling surface lets you make over 15 servings for large groups of people
- Apartment-Approved - Your landlord will love this grill just as much as you do. The fully electric system gives you high-quality grilling with no charcoal, no propane, and no flare-ups
- Adjustable Temperature Control - Perfect heat is the secret ingredient. The temperature probe lets you choose from five heat settings to get the best results on any kind of food
- George Tough Nonstick Coating - There’s a lot to love about this nonstick coating. It’s durable, easy to clean, and removes the need for butter and oil
- Easy to hold
- Safe to use
- Remove up to 42% of fat* from meats for lean, tasty meals
- Great for large groups of people
- For both indoor and outdoor use
- Non-removable grill plate
- Heavy top
Thanks to the grill stand that can be sturdy on the patio, you can use the 240-square-inch nonstick grilling surface to make a mouthwatering family dinner or bring it outdoors for these fundamental dishes of a classic backyard BBQ.
Though the stand allows the cooking surface to be at your desired height, the heavy top means that you should be aware of the risks of falling over.
The patented fat-removing slope, variable temperature controls, and tough nonstick coating make it much easier to create large, tasty portions of appetizers, chickens, burgers, desserts, or any other favorites.
Beginners might be unhappy with the George Foreman GFO240S’ non-removable grill plate which requires more effort in the cleaning process. To clean it after cooking, you would have to take the whole unit to the sink or use a hosepipe.
|Dimension||11 x 20 x 20.5 inches|
|Cooking Size||240 square inches|
|No of Servings||15|
|Highlight Features||Unique sloped surface; plug-in temperature control probe; removable stand; George tough nonstick coating|
If you have a lot of friends, the George Foreman Electric Grill GFO240S is a go-to solution.
Weber 52020001 Q1400 Electric Grill – Best for apartments
- 1560-watt electric heating element to heat 189 square-inch total cooking area
- Porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates and cast aluminum lid and body
- Fully assembled out of box
- Infinite control burner valve settings
- Fully assembled out of box
- Easy to use and clean
- Perfect for condos
- Space-saving and portable
- For outdoor use only
- Great for small groups
- Takes 15-20 minutes to preheat
Though this electric grill with a 1,560-watt electric heating element is not the best choice for a big group of up to 15 members like the George Foreman Electric Grill GFO240S, its 189 square-inch total grilling area can offer a whole lot more than what you might expect.
The Q1400’s cooking surface can accommodate six chicken breasts/burgers or five tenderloins at one time making it a favorite pastime to cook for a family of only four. No matter what you are grilling, you can accordingly adjust the temperature controller to get the heat from low to up to 500 degrees. However, expect 15-20 minutes for preheating.
|Dimension||23.5 x 27 x 20.5 inches|
|Cooking Size||189 square inches|
|No of Servings||4-6|
|Highlight Features||Porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates; cast aluminum lid and body; infinite control burner valve settings; 6-foot grounded cord; removable catch pan|
Weber 52020001 Q1400 Electric Grill is designed with grillers living in condos in mind.
Charles Oakley Hot Shot Smokeless Electric Grill – Best smokeless grill
- Charles Oakley's Smokeless Indoor Grilling & Searing – Enjoy grilled steaks, ribs, pork barbecue, and burgers all year-round, this electric smokeless grill creates your outdoor BBQ recipes with the same taste, flavor & authentic char-grilled texture and grill marks – right on your kitchen countertop. Effortlessly! Grill on our family size, XL grill surface with virtually no smoke and less mess.
- Dual Cooking Surfaces – Each Hot Shot Electric Grill includes non-stick grill grates and a flat griddle plate. The griddle is the perfect nonstick, multi-purpose, restaurant-grade cooking surface for perfect pancakes, eggs, & more or get the perfect sear on steak and fish. Doubles as a professional Panini press. Want authentic grill marks? Use the grill plate for traditional barbecue grilling on ribs, steaks, veggies & more. You can even grill fruit!
- Compact and Portable Grill Design – Easy to plug in and use in your kitchen, a picnic area while camping, or even your own backyard, simply hook it up to a power source and start grilling up your favorite foods without worrying about smoke.
- Smart, Mess-Free Drip Tray – Each electric smokeless grill is designed with a drip tray that catches any excess fats, oils, or liquids and features removable parts to make it easier to watch by hand or put in the dishwasher for quick clean up. No more soaking & scrubbing those filthy outdoor grill grates!
- Easy to plug in and use
- Compact & portable
- Made from heavy-duty die-cast aluminum
- Removable parts for easy cleaning
- Not completely smokeless as advertised
- A bit pricey
While the dual cooking surfaces allow you to grill anything you want from pancakes and burgers to steaks & ribs, and even veggies & fruits, these non-stick grill grates help prevent your ingredients from sticking. Also, the nonstick surfaces make it simple to clean and maintain the grates without any scrubbing.
What we don’t like about the Charles Oakley Hot Shot Smokeless Electric Grill is that it still releases a certain amount of smoke. Though it is not completely smokeless as advertised, it produces much less smoke than other units.
|Dimension||21 x 15 x 9 inches|
|No of Servings||4-6|
|Highlight Features||Dual cooking surfaces; smart & mess-free drip tray|
The Charles Oakley Hot Shot Smokeless Electric Grill lets you cook up some hot dogs, steaks, pork barbecue, burgers, or any of your favorites right in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Weber 44010001 Spirit II E-210 2-Burner Liquid Propane Grill – Best overall
- Your purchase includes One Weber Spirit II E-210 2-Burner Liquid Propane Grill in Black color
- Grill dimensions: Lid Open - 57"H x 48"W x 26"D. Lid Closed - 44.5"H x 48"W x 27"D. Each cooking grate is 10.16” x 17.5", for a combined measurement of approximately 20.32" x 17.5"
- Propane gas grill works with Standard 20 lb LP tank.
- Features: Porcelain-enameled, cast-iron cooking grates, porcelain-enameled lid, iGrill 3 compatible (accessory sold separately), Built-in lid thermometer, Fold-down left side table, Open cart design, Fuel gauge, Stainless steel heat deflector, Panel frame
- Compact innovative design
- Stainless steel construction for ultimate durability
- Easy to use, clean, and maintain
- Can serve a big group
- Plastic wheels
This unit has an excellent power output of 26,500 BTU per hour, while the porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grates & flavorizer bars help evenly and consistently spread the heat across the grill surface.
The Gs4 grilling system with improved infinity ignition in place ensures that you can get your BBQ going quickly, while the open cart design with six tool hooks and two large wheels make it easy to store this unit away in your property when not in use.
The only problem we have with the Weber 44010001 Spirit II E-210 2-Burner Liquid Propane Grill is its plastic wheels that demand appropriate care to last for many years to come.
|Dimension||48 x 26 x 57 inches|
|Cooking Size||450 square inches|
|Power Output||26,500 BTU|
|Highlight Features||Built-in lid thermometer; a fold-down left side table; Gs4 grilling system with improved infinity ignition, burners, porcelain-enameled Flavorizer Bars, grease Management system|
Weber 44010001 Spirit II E-210 2-Burner Liquid Propane Grill is a great choice for anyone new to the world of grilling.
Coleman RoadTrip LXE Portable Propane Grill – Best for camping
- Portable propane grill ideal for tailgating, picnicking, and camping
- Delivers 20,000 BTUs of heat across 285 square inches of grilling surface
- Swaptop interchangeable cooktops allow you to switch grill grates out for griddle and stove grates (sold separately)
- Instastart button ignites grill without the need for a match or lighter
- Portable design ideal for tailgating, picnicking, and camping
- Easy to assemble & transport
- Fit into most car trunks
- Sturdy & well-built
- The wheels cannot be locked
Rather than the collapsible design and the small metal handles on each side for ease of transport, it has two burners independently adjusted for various temperatures on each grill’s side. You can cook steaks on one side and pancakes on the other, without worrying about the red juice oozing out invading your cakes.
BBQing for a crowd is now becoming a breeze since the RoadTrip LXE Portable Propane Grill can deliver up to 20,000 BTUs of heat across a total grilling surface of 285 square inches on its cast-iron grates. That means even beginners can prepare vegetables, meats, and fish alongside each other.
The only minor issue is the wheels that cannot be locked. So, make sure to keep an eye on your Coleman RoadTrip LXE Portable Propane Grill!
|Dimension||32 x 35 x 19 inches|
|Cooking Size||285 square inches|
|Power Output||20,000 BTU|
|Highlight Features||Swaptop interchangeable cooktops; collapsible design|
Coleman RoadTrip LXE Portable Propane Grill is a high-quality grill that any campers would benefit from.
Megamaster 820-0065C Propane Gas Grill – Best budget option
- 360 sq. In. Of total cooking space
- 1 stainless Steel burner with push button Piezo ignition
- Total 11, 000 BTU
- Porcelain enameled cooking grate
- Perfect for the on-the-go cook
- Easy to transport and assemble
- Convenient, compact & powerful
- It is a bit more difficult to control the heat
First off, we have to mention the incredible price. Despite the low price that you can rarely find for a propane grill, this grill doesn’t lack in quality.
For example, it is rated up to 11,000 BTUs covering an area of 360 square inches which helps you cook 17 burgers at the same time to the perfect temperature. The foldable legs make it incredibly easy to store and transport. With them, beginners will never have to worry about an uncomfortable surface for grilling. Whether you are going on a planned camping trip or want to tailgate before a game, all you need to do is either fold these legs away or set them up.
However, there is a quite concerning issue among beginners is that it is a bit harder to control the temperature.
|Dimension||28.4 x 19.7 x 21.9 inches|
|Cooking Size||360 square inches|
|Power Output||11,000 BTU|
|Highlight Features||1 stainless steel burner with push-button Piezo ignition; Steel secondary cooking grid; foldable legs; durable porcelain-enameled firebox; porcelain-enameled cooking grate|
Megamaster 820-0065C Propane Gas Grill is an excellent entry-level propane gas grill for those in search of powerful grilling performance without blowing their budget.
Weber 15501001 Performer Deluxe Charcoal Grill – Best overall
- Electronic Touch-N-Go with Propane Gas powered ignition system (propane tank not included)
- Dimensions - Lid Closed: 43.5"H x 48"W x 30"D | Weight: 91 lbs
- 22-inch diameter porcelain-enameled bowl and lid with a cooking area of 363 square inch
- Aluminized steel One-Touch cleaning system with removable, high-capacity, aluminum ash catcher
- Easy to set up
- Easy to clean
- No fussing around with lighting charcoal
- Adaptable to any backyard environment
- The lid thermometer should be more reliable
While the CharBin storage container protects your charcoal from the elements
While the handy painted metal table is sturdy enough for your ultimate convenience, the redesigned nylon lid handle makes sure to protect your fingers from the heat while lid lifting and closing.
However, the reoccurring issue among customer reviews is the inaccurate lid thermometer. Though this unit can reach temperatures of more than 470°F, the lid thermometer cannot give you an accurate temperature reading. To avoid any accident; it’s better to double check the temperatures with a more reliable digital thermometer.
|Dimension||30 x 48 x 43.5 inches|
|Cooking Size||363 square inches|
|Highlight Features||22-inch diameter porcelain-enameled bowl and lid; electronic Touch-N-Go gas ignition system; aluminized steel One-Touch cleaning system|
Weber 15501001 Performer Deluxe Charcoal Grill is designed to help beginners cook almost anything.
Weber Original Kettle Charcoal Grill – Best budget option
- Holds up to nine burgers made with a Weber burger press
- One-Touch cleaning system provides hassle-free ash cleanup
- Porcelain-enameled lid and bowl retain heat, and won’t rust or peel
- Use the lid hook to avoid placing the lid on the ground while grilling. Dampers allow you to easily control the temperature inside your grill
- Simple assembly
- Easy to clean up
- Great for moderate capacity cooking
- Work for a small family
- Not great for big families
Though it cannot work for big groups of 20 people, it still can hold up to nine burgers with a Weber burger press. The classic round design creates a convection heating system for better distributing heat allowing you to perfectly grill and smoke anything from vegetables or meat.
|Dimension||18.5 x 23 x 35 inches|
|Cooking Size||240 square inches|
|Highlight Features||One-Touch cleaning system; durable plated steel cooking grate; porcelain-enameled lid and bowl; three-blade ash sweeper; removable ash catcher|
The Weber Original Kettle 18 Inch Charcoal Grill is a modestly-sized unit that can fit on balconies or small patios and be more than up to the task.
Char-Griller E56720 AKORN Kamado Charcoal Grill – Best for slow roast
- 314 Square inches of primary cooking space, warming rack 133 Square inches for a total of 447 Square inches
- Insulated design means more heat uses less charcoal and less airflow means insulated heat for juicy meat
- Cooking surface is cast iron, body is constructed of 22 gauge Steel, exterior finish is powder coated Steel, interior finish is porcelain coated steel
- Cart is constructed of tubular steel W/rubber wheels, locking caster on front, indexed damper is numbered so you can note the position of the damper
- Versatile for both smoking and grilling
- Easy to assemble
- Easy to raise the temperature
- Made from quality materials
- Not durable as expected
However, what makes this unit popular among beginners is the awesome flavor produced in both incredibly high heat cooking and low & slow smoking styles. The insulated teardrop design can retain heat over the large cooking space during the long term allowing you to cook prime steaks or ribs perfectly seared on both sides.
What we don’t like about the Char-Griller E56720 AKORN Kamado Charcoal Grill is that it is not as durable as expected.
|Dimension||45.2 x 31.3 x 47.4 inches|
|Cooking Size||447 square inches|
|Highlight Features||Teardrop design; large cooking space; locking lid, 2 folding Black metal shelves, Easy dump ash pan, double-wall insulation, heat gauge|
Char-Griller E56720 AKORN Kamado Charcoal Grill can turn even beginners into barbecue pros.
How to choose the best grill for beginners?
Electric vs. Propane vs. Charcoal Grill
Though electric grills come in handy in any residence where charcoal and gas grill usage is restricted, they are not the most popular choice among BBQ lovers because it loses out on the same smoky flavor authenticity that any gas or charcoal counterpart offers.
A gas model is often budget-friendlier than an electric one. Also, it takes them less time to heat meaning that there is less energy is used per unit of cooking time.
With a gas grill, you will be enjoying the flavor associated with BBQ at its fullest. However, gas units are preferably used outdoors and often require plenty of space. And, it’s advisable to place them far from any material which can easily catch fire.
Charcoal is the perfect fuel source for grilling, especially for those whose greatest priority is the classic charbroiled, smoky flavor. However, the drawback associated with that great taste is smoke emitted by charcoal.
Those who want to serve food to several people at a time will never go wrong with a large-sized charcoal grill that delivers a big cooking surface. However, those who are looking for a portable grill for weekend camping or tailgating will have to sacrifice cooking space for ease of transportation.
Power output is often measured in British Thermal Units or BTU. The better power output, the less time you will be spending on the cooking process. The rating only needs to be in the 60 to 80 BTU range, though.
Who makes the best grill for beginners?
Weber is a privately held American manufacturer that has long been producing and perfecting electric, charcoal, and gas grills with related accessories for an outdoor cooking experience. With the promise of quality and innovation kept over the past few years, this long-serving brand will continue to be one of the most recognized and respected ones on the market.
When it comes to utensils for grilling experience, Coleman, which has been in the industry for almost 20 years is a hallmark of quality. Being one of the longest-serving brands of outdoor recreation products out there, this Chicago-based company has been, not surprisingly, producing excellent, sturdy, and dependable stoves, grills, and accessories that win the heart of millions of BBQ devotees all around the world.
Char-Griller has been well-known for manufacturing high-quality smokers, grills, and accessories, which are affordable yet durable and versatile for all members of your hardworking families. With the goal of not only helping customers great-tasting food but also giving them lifelong memories, Char-Griller must be a dependable and trustworthy brand for those with little cooking experience.
What’s better: Gas vs. charcoal grills?
Charcoal units often offer greater portability than its gas counterpart. But, they often release more smoke and burn hotter than gas models, thus beginners might find it hard to control the cooking temperature. However, charcoal grills deliver a broader range of mouthwatering flavor molecules.
Do electric grills use a lot of electricity?
An average-sized indoor electric grill in an American household consumes abound 1400 watts of power. If you use your grill for an hour each day, expect to pay less than $10 per month.
Are propane grills worth it?
Not only are propane grills healthier but they also produce more steam than any charcoal models, offering you much juicier meat.
How do you grill for the first time?
Follow some simple steps below for the first time using grills:
- Carefully read the manufacturer’s manual
- Make sure that there is no leakage
- Evenly spray the cold grates with a high-heat cooking spray such as peanut oil, avocado oil; almond oil; canola oil to prevent rust forming
- Deep clean up and maintain your grill
How do you know when the charcoal grill is ready?
You can spread out and use your coals when they are covered with gray ash.
Whether you want to entertain guests or escape the kitchen to enjoy more flavorful leaner pieces of meat, let’s find more time to grill with the best grill for beginners!