How to find the best charcoal grill smoker combo? You will not only find 5 stunning units but also a heap of advice on how to buy the right one.
Who doesn’t like the mouth-watering smoky flavor of charcoal-grilled meat? Yet, to produce such flavor requires a good charcoal grill smoker combo.
Are you looking for one? Take a look at these 5 items below.
- Royal Gourmet BBQ Charcoal Grill and Offset Smoker – Best for camping
- Char-Griller 2137 Outlaw 1063 Square Inch Charcoal Grill – Best for large families
- Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Kamado Kooker Charcoal Barbecue Grill and Smoker – Best for Kamado style cooking
- PK Grills PK360 Outdoor Charcoal Grill and Smoker Combination – top-rated
- Char-Griller E22424 Table Top Charcoal Grill and Side Fire Box – Best tabletop charcoal grill smoker
Royal Gourmet BBQ Charcoal Grill and Offset Smoker – Best for camping
- Your purchase includes One Gourmet 30” BBQ Charcoal Grill and Offset Smoker, CC1830S model | Cover is not included
- Grill dimensions: 55.1" H x 48.4" W x 27.2" L | Cooking area – 800 square inches | Porcelain-coated steel wiring grates – 438 sq. in | Chrome-plated warming rack – 179 sq. in | Offset smoker – 183 sq. in | No ignition system
- Removal charcoal, ashes pan allow users to tend charcoal and dump ashes easily
- Traditional charcoal grill with offset smoker combination for dual style barbecue. The offset smoker can also be used as a small grill. Please fuel it using lump charcoal or briquet, with a small amount of wood chips added to help increase flavor
- Perfect for picnic and camping
- 6” wheels for extra mobility
- Excellent thermometer
- The smoking function is not good.
The grill is compact, which is suitable for most balconies, decks, and patios. It is lightweight enough for camping and picnic trips.
The porcelain enamel cooking grates allow you to cook almost anything with ease. The cooking chamber with adjustable charcoal pan helps you to adjust the temperature during the cooking process. The 183 square inches of offset smoker is perfect for not only for smoking meat but also roasting side dishes.
What is the drawback? The smoking feature may not satisfy those who want a perfect smoker.
|Grilling Area Dimensions||420 square inches|
|Smoking/Warming Rack Dimensions||180 square inches of warming rack, 183 square inches of offset smoker|
|Cooking Temperature||Up to 400F|
|Hopper Capacity||3.3 lbs|
|Highlight Features||Side fire box for either charcoal grilling or smoker, Porcelain-Coated cooking grates for evenly heating, adjustable fire grate in main chamber|
Royal Gourmet BBQ Charcoal Grill and Offset Smoker is a lightweight option for camping. This little guy offers great heating control, top-notch performance, and most importantly hassle-free clean-up.
Char-Griller 2137 Outlaw 1063 Square Inch Charcoal Grill – Best for large families
- Heavy gauge steel construction and double bottom for years of Use
- Airtight flanged Hood with heat gauge
- Cast iron grates provide even heat and locks in flavor
- 1063 sq In Total cooking area (main grill and warming rack)
- Sturdy steel construction
- Easy to store
- Easy to clean
- Perfect for the balcony cookout
- Great value for the price
- The wheels aren’t durable.
The heavy-duty steel frame is exceptionally rugged and durable. The cast-iron grates offer amazing sear and ability to uphold heat during cooking. This model offers an adjustable fire grate and quick ash dump pan. I love the built-in temperature gauge that gives you 100% control over your cooking process.
There are 3 shelves and a warming rack to grill, plenty of room to cook.
Any drawback? Though this model comes with a set of wheels, some people complain that the set isn’t very durable.
|Grilling Area Dimensions||725 square inches|
|Smoking/Warming Rack Dimensions||338 square inches|
|Highlight Features||Heavy Gauge Steel Construction and Double Bottom for Years of Use, Airtight Flanged Hood with Heat Gauge, Cast Iron Grates, Adjustable Fire Grate|
Char-Griller 2137 Outlaw 1063 Square Inch Charcoal Grill is a professional cooking station for big families. A must-have item for now-and-then weekend BBQ parties.
Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Kamado Kooker Charcoal Barbecue Grill and Smoker – Best for Kamado style cooking
- 314 square inches of primary cooking space, warming rack 133 square inches for a total of 447 square inches
- Insulated design means more heat uses less charcoal and less airflow means insulated heat for juicy meat and folding side shelves
- Cooking surface is cast iron, Body is constructed of 22 gauge steel, Exterior finish is powder coated steel, Interior finish is porcelain coated steel
- Cart is constructed of tubular steel w/rubber wheels, locking caster on front, Indexed damper is numbered so you can note the position of the damper
- Durable construction
- The exterior stays cool for the whole time
- Massive cooking surface
- Easy to assemble
- Locking wheels provide extra stability
- It is hard to adjust the dampers
The Kamado-style grill allows you to enjoy both searing and low/fast roasting. Constructed from 22-gauge steel, the exterior part is coated with powder steel and interior is porcelain steel. This little beast is living proof of durability.
The machine can maintain a range of temperature from 200 to 700 degrees Fahrenheit with a triple-walled feature. It comes with 314 square inches of grilling space and 133 square inches of removable warming rack.
The top damper is adjustable so that you can control the airflow and heat during the cooking process. A temperature gauge comes together with the unit makes everything easier. This model offers an easy-to-dump ash pan, making clean-up afterward a piece of cake.
I also love the locking wheels which provides extra stability to the unit. What seems to be a problem here is the top damper. Some users say that they have a hard time adjusting it.
|Grilling Area Dimensions||314 square inches|
|Smoking/Warming Rack Dimensions||113 square inches of warming rack|
|Cooking Temperature||200 to 700 degrees Fahrenheit|
|Highlight Features||Insulated design, constructed of tubular steel w/rubber wheels, locking caster on front, Indexed damper|
Char-Griller E16620 Akorn Kamado Kooker Charcoal is a well-money-spent option for those who love Kamado-style cooking. It is a durable and easy-to-use unit that you want for future barbecue parties.
PK Grills PK360 Outdoor Charcoal Grill and Smoker Combination – Top-rated
- Four vents are better than two - Pk360 excels at both hot and Fast (grilling) or low and slow (barbecue) cooking because it's unique capsule shape combined with 4-point venting makes it so easy to set up and deliver the goods.
- DURABLE ALUMINUM CONSTRUCTION - PK360s cast aluminum construction is more durable than porcelain kamados and doesn't rust like steel. PK Grills come with a 10-year yet are often lifetime purchases handed down from 1 generation to the next.
- THE KEY TO GREAT BBQ IS TEMPERATURE MANAGEMENT - PK360s combination of thick cast aluminum and 4-point venting results in a very heat efficient cook chamber with easy 2-zone set-up and more control than the average 2 vent grill.
- Keeping it portable since 1952 - as with all pks, the Pk360 Detaches from its stand easily so you can take it with you, Great for Tailgating, camping, fishing/hunting Cabins, etc. Since it's charcoal, no Extension cord required.
- Durable aluminum construction
- Easy to use
- Consistent heating
- Versatility with multiple cooking modes
- Perfect for picnic and camping
- Effective air control
- Difficult to clean grease at the bottom
This unit is a master when it comes to venting. It offers 4 adjustable venting places and 2 rotating bars at the bottom just to increase airflow and manage the heat. You can also find 2 adjustable holes on the lid for venting.
There is a temperature gauge in the bottom of the lid, assisting you when it comes to temperature control. The readings are very accurate so that you can realize it.
You need to wait for the grill to cool down and then clean up the grate, remove ash and so one. However, it could be a big problem cleaning up the grease at the bottom.
|Grilling Area Dimensions||360 square inches|
|Highlight Features||Conducts Heat More Efficiently, Rust Proof and durable, Maintains Exact Temperature|
PK Grills PK360 Outdoor Charcoal Grill and Smoker Combination, flexible and versatile, offers various traveling options for cooks. It is durable and affordable too. A great unit to own.
Char-Griller E22424 Table Top Charcoal Grill and Side Fire Box – Best tabletop charcoal grill smoker
- Removable ash pan for easy coal clean up
- Offset for Texas style smoking
- Attaches to all Char-Griller barrel grills (#2123, #2828, #2137 and the #5050 Duo Gas and Charcoal Grill)
- Use as a table top grill or horizontal Texas style smoker
- Removable ash pan for easy coal clean up
- Heavy steel construction
- Large cooking surface for a small grill
- Quite lightweight
- Should have more dampers
This is certainly the lightest heavy-steel grill ever. The fact that it is made of heavy material but only weighs 39 lbs is striking. That also makes this grill a suitable option for camping, or picnic. It is a bit bulky, but that is just the look.
This amazing grill offers 250 square inches of cooking space, which is a lot more than grills with the same size and price. Cast-iron grates allow you to handle steaks, ribs, hamburgers without risk of losing the moist and flavor.
The dampers work perfectly, but more dampers would help the cooking process go smoothly.
What’s else? The grill features a removable ash pan to make cleaning less tedious for you. It is porcelain-enamel coated, so you won’t eat ash in the breeze.
|Grilling Area Dimensions||250 square inches|
|Highlight Features||Use as a table top grill or horizontal Texas style smoker, fits the Chargriller Pro Deluxe, Wrangler, Outlaw and Duo as a Side Fire Box|
Looking for the best table top charcoal grill smoker? Make sure that you check Char-Griller E22424 Table Top Charcoal Grill and Side Fire Box out.
How to choose the best charcoal grill smoker (buying guide)
So you are on your way to purchase your dream charcoal grill smoker. Don’t forget to take a look at these buying factors.
There are 2 sizes you need to concern: the actual size and the cooking surface.
For those who want to bring their grill on a camping trip, it is essential to choose a small item. It needs to be lightweight and compact enough so it makes the journey less hassle.
Kettle and ceramic grills are the best choices here. They are small, most lightweight and compact, perfect for any camping or picnic trips.
The size of the grilling surface is important too. If you never grill for more than 4 people at a time, no need to find a massive grilling area. But if you want to throw a big backyard BBQ from time to time, you might need a bigger surface.
It is important to choose a grill that allows adjusting temperature. The lid is important in this process because it helps you control the temperature. That’s why you need to make sure that the lid is tight-fitting.
Also, the dampers are essential too. You should look for grills that offer at least 2 dampers. Larger grills should have more than 2 dampers.
Ease of use and cleaning
Cleaning a charcoal grill could be tedious. If you want to reduce the hassle, look for grills that have hinged cooking grates, or removable ash catcher.
Last but not least, buy a grill that stays. A durable grill can last for many summers. You might want to look at reputable brands or check the construction and specifications for clues.
Who makes the best charcoal grill smoker?
Spending a bit of time on trustable brands will make your grilling experience more promising. These are the best brands for charcoal grill smoker.
Royal Gourmet is one of the best manufacturers you can count one. They offer not only charcoal grills but also a smoker, griddle, and portable options. Their products are famous for the durability, affordability, and most importantly flawless performance.
Another big name in the grilling industry, Char-Griller is known for high-quality, durable grills, smokers, and accessories. Most of the items are budget-friendly, suitable for both indoor and outdoor use.
PK grills focus on portable products, suitable for small families and outdoor trips. Their products offer a flexible and durable design, which is user-friendly and affordable too.
Is charcoal grilling unhealthy?
While charcoal grilling offers the signature smoky flavor, it may also pose several risks to your health. Burning charcoal will result in hydrocarbons, which can cause lung and heart problem.
The use of charcoal in grilling potentially form carcinogenic compounds in cooked food. According to the American Cancer Society, PAHs, one of the carcinogenic compounds, appear when fat from meat drops into the burning charcoal. The smoke if get deposited on the meat can cause serious health damage.
To avoid this, you need to buy a grill with sustainable grease system. Make sure not to let fat contact with burning charcoal.
Can I use wood in a charcoal smoker?
The short answer is yes. You can set up your firebox with a full lump and add pieces of wood for the rest of the smoking time. You probably experience test-and-fail because each smoker is different.
You can also use charcoal as a heat source and add wood to increase the smoky flavor.
Is it better to grill with charcoal or wood?
Both have pros and cons. Charcoal and wood grilling offers mouth-watering smoking flavor. Especially for those who love wood-grilled food, the use of high-quality wood chips could generate all sorts of flavor from applewood to hickory.
Meet grilled by charcoal offers a unique taste. Charcoal grills also allow you to sear the meat easier and leave nice-looking grilling marks.
When it comes to taste, everybody has different opinions. Some like charcoal smoky flavor, other loves wood. However, if you care about the lovely grill marks and cooking time, a charcoal grill could be a better option in this case.
The bottom line
Buying a good charcoal grill smoker combo isn’t a tedious task if you know what to look for. If money is a problem, you can wait until the season-end sale to get a high-quality, affordable unit. Have fun grilling!