An effective way to improve your current bed is by using a proper topper.
While giving much more cost-effective than replacing the original mattress, it works no different than a brand-new one, as long as you choose the right one.
Take note that a topper for the bad back will be different from one for side or stomach sleepers, so don’t overlook this article. Here are the most comfortable mattress toppers that have been meticulously categorized by our sleeping expert testers:
- LUCID 2 Inch 5 Zone Mattress Topper – Best overall
- Zinus 1.5 Inch Mattress Topper – Budget-friendly
- Milemont Mattress Topper Twin – Best pressure relieving
- KARRISM Extra Thick Mattress Topper – Best for cooling
- Twin Pillow Top Mattress Cover – Best for stomach sleepers
- Superior Twin Mattress Topper – Best for all seasons
- Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper – Best latex mattress topper (for back pain)
- Vaunn Medical Egg Crate Convoluted Foam Mattress Pad – Best egg crate convoluted foam
- Cheer Collection Ultra Plush Mattress Topper – Bamboo fitted mattress topper
Memory foam mattress toppers
LUCID 2 Inch 5 Zone Mattress Topper – Best overall
- The mattress topper is divided into 5 comfort zones to maximize comfort and limit pressure point on your body
- Airy and soft to prevent you from sweating during the night
- Have strong lavender odor right out of the box, which is a bit too much for people who don’t like it
It’s quite thin – only 2 inches – while featuring a very good ridge shape to let the airflow. With the cooling gel, our testers said that they didn’t feel hot at night anymore.
This is the only mattress topper in our list categorized itself into 5 comfort zones to decrease pressure points throughout your body, such as feet, knees, hips, head, and shoulders. In short, it maximizes comfort instead of killing your back.
|Dimensions||74 x 2 x 37.4 inches|
|Infusion Material||Memory foam with cooling gel|
|Highlight Features||five zones targeted to maximize comfort; extremely soft, airy, and responsive|
For those who need a bit more softness on their older mattress but don’t feel ready to buy a new one, the LUCID 2 Inch 5 Zone Mattress Topper is a perfect solution.
Zinus 1.5 Inch Mattress Topper – Budget-friendly
- Don’t have unpleasant chemical smell right out of the box
- Get CertiPUR-US certification to ensure decent content, performance, and durability
- Prone to tear if you’re too rough when lifting or moving it
- The four edges are easy to curve up
It is made with castor natural seed oil and green tea extract – the two natural elements known for their miracle ability to erase smell-causing bacteria without harming your health. So for people who are built with a sensitive nose, this is a worth try.
Zinus 1.5 Inch Mattress Topper is also one of the rare options in our testing which get CertiPUR-US certification for content, performance, and durability.
But out of such goodies, it’s just priced no more than $30. Surprise!!
|Dimensions||73 x 37 x 1.5 inches|
|Infusion Material||Memory foam|
|Highlight Features||1.5-inch memory foam for ideal support and comfort; CertiPUR-US certified|
If you aren’t ready to buy a fancy, new mattress, the Zinus 1.5 Inch Mattress Topper is an affordable way to upgrade your current sleep setup for a comfortable night’s sleep.
Milemont Mattress Topper Twin – Best pressure relieving
- Deliver up to 3 inches of thickness to support your entire body better
- Infused with stay-cool gel in addition to many holes, it keeps you cool all night long
- The memory foam molds to the curves of your body to relieve pressure better, you won’t wake up with pain anymore
- You have to air it out or clean regularly because this mattress topper itself isn’t hypoallergenic
- Can’t be machine washable
- Slight odor
Despite the flat surface, it highlights a plush gel material in addition to numerous holes for better temperature control. And the 3” memory foam helps contour to your body, therefore, taking the pressure off your entire body while sleeping.
While super supportive, it is also comfortable.
The three levels of memory foam bring a plusher surface in general so that you’ll fall asleep more deeply and quickly.
|Dimensions||74 ” x 37.5″ x 3”|
|Infusion Material||memory foam|
|Highlight Features||3-inch memory foam mattress topper|
After testing, we do recommend the Milemont Mattress Topper Twin for its incredible pressure-relieving, plus, affordability, support, and comfort.
Down alternative mattress toppers
KARRISM Extra Thick Mattress Topper – Best for cooling
- 50% thicker than ordinary mattress pads with good ventilation for both comfort and cooling feel
- Machine washable to save more time and effort to keep it hygiene
- Don’t shift in the night for consistent comfort
- The king-size might not fit a large-capacity home front-loader, you should bring it to a laundromat
With extra plush snow down alternative fill that is considered 50% thicker than ordinary mattress pads, it offers the time-tested comfort to support optimally your hips and shoulders.
If you’re a hot sleeper, don’t worry, as this topper is crafted entirely from 400TC cotton, you couldn’t help but notice how cool it is when waking up after this first use.
One thing that we’re very pleased with this unit is a deep elastic pocket.
While most toppers tend to roll into the middle during the night, which is frustrating, this – with a deep, thick elastic pocket – can hold any mattresses securely, no matter it’s high or low. One more good news is, it can be machine washable.
|Infusion Material||400TC cotton|
|Highlight Features||Made of 100% 400TC cotton; 50% THICKER than normal mattress pad; machine washable|
Built with decent breathability and ventilation, KARRISM Extra Thick Mattress Topper is the one we would lend to a hot-sleeper friend.
Twin Pillow Top Mattress Cover – Best for stomach sleepers
- Made of high-grade stretchy, durable polyester fabric for extra comfort
- Designed with extra thickness and fluffiness to give ultimate support to the sleeper’s spine and waist, ideal for stomach sleeper
- Responsive cool breathable fabric that can adjust its moisture-wicking capability based on your body heat – giving more breathability yet sufficient warmth
- The additional microfiber fabric layer reduces unwanted noise of movement to avoid distracting your partner
- Very heavy
It highlights high-end feather bedding and gooses down which is all Oeko-Tex Standard 100 verified for no harmful substances to human health.
And instead of using Egyptian cotton material like most brands would do, it adopts 100% polyester fabric for superior durability and stretchability, hence, giving more comfort for sleepers.
With a 3-zone body comfort construction and 2-inch gusset to achieve the ultimate fluffiness and softness, your spine and waist will receive the best support to sleep more deeply. Perfect for stomach sleepers or pregnant wife with back pain!
|Infusion Material||goose down and feather|
|Highlight Features||super soft & breathable; Fluffy and Firm with 4 Straps Hotel Quality; 100% down alternative mattress topper, Oeko-Tex Standard 100 verified|
If you’re looking for a mattress topper specifically designed for stomach sleepers, the SUFUEE Twin Pillow Top Mattress is a can’t-miss option.
Superior Twin Mattress Topper – Best for all seasons
- Come with the hypoallergenic fill to be friendly for allergic people while requiring minimal maintenance – ideal to be used during rainy months or cold days
- Soft and supportive as you’re laying down on a cloud
- You have to fluff it every day
- It shifts every week as there are no elastic bands to hold it in place
While featuring a premium microfiber shell and lofty down alternative Polyfill for exceptional comfort, it highlights the hypoallergenic fill.
This additional feature is not only suitable for allergic people but also stays more hygienic so that you don’t have to wash it as regularly as the standard toppers. And it is considered a big plus for winter usage.
Besides, lots of customers said that they had a very full slumber on this topper without awakening and it felt like on a cloud. Our testers feedback that their legs, hips, neck, and shoulders are flawlessly rested.
|Dimensions||17 x 22 x 7 inches|
|Infusion Material||Down Alternative Polyfill|
|Highlight Features||100% Premium Microfiber Shell With Down Alternative Polyfill; contains 93 oz of hypoallergenic fill with a 2″ gusset|
The Superior Twin Mattress Topper is as soft and comfortable as most down alternative toppers in our list, but added the hypoallergenic fill to stay hygienic all years round, making it ideal for all seasons.
Pure Green 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper – Best latex mattress topper (for back pain)
- Don’t make you sink or struggling to turn, get in or off
- Conform to your body and quickly reform to its original shape – better support for side sleepers and bad backs
- Made of 100% natural latex – stay cooler and better for humans’ health
- There is a slight odor
The biggest selling point is, it immediately reforms its shape when you move, avoiding the feel like you’re sinking into a cocoon when turning.
Compared to memory foam toppers, it’s firmer yet springier and more supportive to reduce your hip and back pain. So your slumber’s quality will be improved significantly.
With the padded mattress pad, it works like a dream.
|Dimensions||38 x 75 x 1 inches|
|Infusion Material||Natural Latex|
|Highlight Features||100% natural latex – no synthetic latex – no fillers; medium firmness; 5.0 lbs/cubic ft|
For those who are suffering back pain or herniated disc, replace your memory foam with this Sleep On Latex topper, you won’t be sorry!
Vaunn Medical Egg Crate Convoluted Foam Mattress Pad – Best egg crate convoluted foam
- Made of high-grade medical-grade urethane for significant extra comfort and support to your body – good for people with scoliosis, degenerative arthritis, or a swollen knee
- Meet CertiPUR-US certification for safety and eco-friendliness
- Built with a gel pad for a cooler, drier sleeping experience
- Not aesthetic
- Many customers wish it to be thicker
It is made of 100% premium medical-grade urethane that meets CertiPUR-US certification for durability, emissions, and content. So rest assured that this topper doesn’t contain heavy metals, lead, mercury, ozone depleters, PBDEs, TDCCP, and TCEP flame retardants.
The gel pad is a nice bonus for a cool, dry, and restful slumber.
Many customers who are suffering scoliosis, degenerative arthritis, or swollen knee give feedback for better comfort with a huge amount of relief from the pain on the body when sleeping on this. It’s even workable on large senior pets, like cats and dogs, as well.
|Dimensions||33″ x 73″ x 3″|
|Infusion Material||high-quality medical-grade urethane|
|Highlight Features||cost-effective; made of high-quality medical-grade urethane; CertiPUR-US certificated|
If the current hospital bed is too hard and uncomfortable for you or your loved ones to sleep on, this Vaunn Medical Egg Crate Convoluted Foam Mattress Pad is a blessing for you.
Note: It will take a little while to puff up to get thicker and softer so don’t quickly feel disappointed if it doesn’t come in as thickness as advertised after unboxing.
Cheer Collection Ultra Plush Mattress Topper – Bamboo fitted mattress topper
- Made of hypoallergenic bamboo fabric for extra softness, fluffiness, comfort, and breathability
- It can regulate your body temperature
- Diamond-stitched quilting for more relief and to keep the inner down securely in place
- Deep corner pockets can fit an 18” tall mattress like a breeze to keep the topper in place every week
- The king-sized might not fit a standard washer
- The one and only topper (in our review roster) made of silky bamboo fabric that proudly passed our testing.
A small but noteworthy thing is its diamond-stitch quilting.
It distributes more comfort compared to the box-stitched to not only keep the inner stuff in place but also cushion better your pressure points so that when waking up, you will feel little to no pain.
Its ultra-deep corner pockets are the last-but-not-least bonus. They can fit nicely an 18” tall mattress so the topper won’t shift every night when you turn, move, or get off.
|Dimensions||39 x 76 inches|
|Infusion Material||bamboo fabric|
|Highlight Features||silky to the touch; breathable, soft and plush; regulates body temperature|
To make your bed more luxurious and comfortable that you never want to get out of it, look no further than this Cheer Collection topper.
How to choose the most comfortable mattress topper?
Consider your purpose of use
This is paramount!
A mattress topper is manufactured specifically to be “comfortable” for specific people. For example, an ultra-soft memory foam topper will make side sleepers feel comfier but conversely, bad backs don’t feel the same way. They need a firm one instead!
So you should explicitly determine what you truly need in a new topper.
After already making up your mind, it will be easier to figure out which features that your product should have.
Most mattress toppers are within 1” to 3” thick and this feature is chosen up to your personal preference.
There are three clues to help you easily figure out your favorite range:
- The current thickness of your mattress
- How firm/soft the mattress is
- Your purpose of use when choosing a topper
For example, your current bed is too hard to comfortably sleep on and make you feel pain when waking up (this is how firm/soft your mattress is). You’ll need an ultra-soft topper, which is your purpose of use.
Now, considering the current thickness of your mattress, it is 10” to 13” tall which is relatively thick so your dream topper should be somewhere between 1” and 1.5” thick.
If your bed is significantly thinner, on the contrary, go for an ultra-thick topper – 2” or 3”.
This feature is particularly important if you’re a hot sleeper.
No matter how comfortable the topper, it’s always being frustrating if you wake up with heavy sweating. So the air-flow circulation or breathability level is worth considering.
There are two things to consider:
- Topper materials and shell fabric
Some renowned materials for high breathability are bamboo fabric, microfiber, and polyester. We try to avoid an entirely flat surface topper because it’s often poorer in air circulation.
That said, there are some exceptive cases, such as the Milemont Mattress Topper Twin on our list. It highlights a cooling gel pad with multiple breathable holes throughout the surface to keep you still comfortable and dry.
Who makes the most comfortable mattress topper?
LUCID is a young company specializing in making mattresses and toppers but we love it for the wide range of products specifically designed for each sleeping style. From the side, back, stomach to hot or cold sleepers. As a result, they optimize the highest comfort to the users.
Different from LUCID, this is a long-standing bedding product brand – founded in 1979 by Youn Jae Lee in Seoul. Up to now, they have been a global company with a US warehouse since 2010 and China in 2019, providing over 10 million sleepers.
Milemont was established in 2007, China, and since then, it has become one of the most famous manufacturers providing from mattresses to pillows. Their products lead the internal market in terms of technological innovation and customer services.
This brand aims to family-focused solutions and products with the highest cost efficiency to give their customers the most restful night’s sleep. It was set up in 2014 – quite late compared to other counterparts – but their practicality and true value has helped them earn the fastest growth in current years.
Are mattress toppers any good?
Aside from comfort, they help to protect your mattress, keeping it longer while you sleeping more restful. It’s also praised for space-saving, cost efficiency (than replacing a whole new mattress), and ideal improvement for a fold-old sofa bed.
Is latex mattress better than memory foam?
We would say, it is better than memory foam in some aspects, mostly dependent on your purpose of use and preference.
A latex mattress compresses and bounces while a memory foam will contour snugly to the exact shape of your body. So in short, the latex is better for bad backs while a memory foam mattress is more about relieving pressure points on your body, ideal for side or stomach sleepers.
Is a 2 or 3-inch mattress topper better?
The thicker the mattress topper, the bulkier, firmer, and more supportive. Therefore, a 3-inch topper will be better for people who want more support for their body.
Are memory foam mattress toppers worth it?
It’s worthy to invest on a memory foam matter topper if you want extra contour to the exact body of yours from head to toe, reducing pressure points and giving more relaxing when you sleep.
How long do memory foam toppers last?
3 to 5 years.
It’s struggling for a beginner to find the most comfortable mattress topper for their case just until they know how to determine their needs and which features to consider in it. So we hope this ultimate buying guide has been helpful to you. Thanks for reading!
Table of Contents
- Memory foam mattress toppers
- Down alternative mattress toppers
- Other materials
- How to choose the most comfortable mattress topper?
- Who makes the most comfortable mattress topper?