To find the best vacuum cleaners for stairs, maneuverability and flexibility are key. You should wisely choose them to not compromise with suction power and other functions.
As we know that searching for the right one to help you clean staircases is quite a task, here is a rounded-up list we’ve carefully compiled on the market:
- Eureka Mighty Mite 3670G – Best overall
- Miele Grey Classic C1 – High-end
- Oreck Commercial BB900DGR – Compact
- Bissell 2033 – Most affordable
- MOOSOO XL-618A – Largest dust bin capacity
- ONSON Stick Vacuum Cleaner – Most flexible
- Hoover FH50150 – Easy to use
- BISSELLProHeat 2X 1986 – Best for carpeted stairs
- Bissell 86T3 – Best for large space cleaning
Best canister vacuum cleaners for stairs
Eureka Mighty Mite 3670G – Best overall
- Lightweight and mighty for quick cleanup on high-traffic stairs
- Expanded reach to clean more, move less – save more time and effort
- Included some add-on features, such as blower port and other attachments – adaptable for more cleaning tasks on different types of floor
- Work loudly
- Not good at cleaning carpeted stairs
A few technicians gave compliments for its powerful 12-amp motor and the ergonomic construction, which helps to finish the stair cleaning in a shorter time with less back pain. It also comes with a 20-foot power cord and an extension wand to help you clean more and move less.
Compared to other powerful vacuum cleaners, this is quite lightweight to carry upstairs. It’s ideal for constantly quick cleanup on high-traffic stairs and besides, can reach underneath lots of furniture with ease.
|Weight||9 x 17.5 x 11.6 inches|
|Tank Size||2.5 liters|
|Cleaning Path||10 inches|
|Cord Length||20 feet|
|Highlight Features||2.5-liter Dust cup capacity. Includes Blower Port; 20-foot power cord and an extension wand|
Considering its cleaning ability and maneuverability, we decided to give our Best Overall Choice Award to the Eureka Mighty Mite 3670G.
Miele Grey Classic C1 – High-end
- Can cover large ground when plugged in
- Provide ultra-large dust bag – make the emptying task less daunting
- As powerful as an upright vacuum cleaner to suck up grit and debris of all sizes
- The suction force be changed to suit specific cleaning tasks and surfaces
- The images on the power knob are hard to understand
- A bit noisy when working
What makes it stand out is the 6-mode suction power setting in addition to various attachments. This perfect duo gives the unit more specific and intensive cleaning styles, such as on low-pile carpets, high-pile carpets, hardwood floorings, curtains, and upholstery.
In fact, it is known as a beefy cleaner that can work on a multitude of flooring types in a convenient manner for the user.
We love how conveniently of its power cord stored within the main unit through the push of a button as well as the low-profile design to keep it from feeling unnecessarily large.
|Dimension||18.2 x 11 x 8.7 inches|
|Tank Size||4.5 liters|
|Cleaning Path||11 ½ inches|
|Cord Length||29.5 feet|
|Highlight Features||lightweight; 6 different suction power settings|
Powerful and multi-functional, the low-profile design of Miele Grey Classic C1 allows for greater versatility across different surfaces, and across many cleaning tasks, all while being decently well-worth the price.
Oreck Commercial BB900DGR – Compact
- Have some add-on features to make the cleaning easier
- Ultra-long power cord – you don’t have to find for an outlet all the time
- Relatively quiet motor
- Don’t have a scent holder as the older version
- Require periodical replacement of the dust bags
- Lack of storage for the attachments – easy to lose
In this one, there is a slight upgrade on its power cord, up to 30 feet, for expanded reach when plugged in. It also comes with multiple attachments, a shoulder strap, and an integrated handle for versatility and better portability.
Our most favorite is the Celoc hypo-allergenic filtration system.
As its name defines, this filter can capture lots of pollens, allergens, and micro dust while efficiently preventing them from escaping back to the environment. In short, it’s completely safe for allergic and asthma people.
|Dimension||8 x 6 x 15 inches (H x W x D)|
|Tank Size||1 quart|
|Cord Length||30 feet|
|Highlight Features||shoulder strap and integrated handle; Celoc hypo-allergenic filtration system; quiet motor|
For the elderly or people who are suffering long-term back pain, this compact bagged Oreck canister vacuum unit is meant to be carried effortlessly.
Best stick vacuum cleaners for stairs
Bissell 2033 – Most affordable
- Versatile - Can transition within seconds into a smaller handheld vacuum to clean hard-to-reach areas
- Can suck up efficiently pet hairs on low-pile carpeted stairs and hard floors
- One of the lightest and lowest costs we’ve tried
- The stick isn’t adjustable
- Require emptying the dust cup many times
The most outstanding is, for the price of under $30, you have a two-in-one device as it can transition from a stick vacuum to a handheld. That means aside from cleaning stairs and hard floors, it’s also perfect for carpets and furniture.
Our testers were immensely impressed by its pet-hair vacuuming performance although the maker doesn’t make any specific claims relating to this function. It can collect most hair and general dirt on hard floors and low-pile carpeted stairs.
Due to its high-quality filter, we can ensure that a quick clean with this unit will sufficiently freshen the air around your living space.
|Dimension||8.3 x 9.5 x 44.2 inches|
|Tank Size||0.67 liter|
|Cleaning Path||10 inches|
|Cord Length||15 feet|
|Highlight Features||Weighs under eight pounds; can work as a stick vacuum and a handheld; low price point|
If you’re looking for a lightweight, compact, and affordable stick vacuum cleaner for cleaning stairs, the Bissell 2033 is the best bet.
MOOSOO XL-618A – Largest dust bin capacity
- Give powerful suction force and brush capability to work on soft surfaces with no problems
- Small, yet mighty enough to suck up dust on hard floors
- Extra-large dust bin for longer constant vacuuming period
- Can’t suck up large debris
- During our side-by-side testing, the MOOSOO XL-618A stood out for many unequaled features
It’s one of the rare stick vacuums coming in powerful suction force and brush capability to work efficiently on soft surfaces, such as carpets, rugs, and cushions.
The dust tank is also leveraged up to 1.3 liters to give you more working time with less emptying.
|Dimension||44.1 x 9 x 10.2 inches|
|Running Time||30 – 45 minutes|
|Filter Bag Capacity||1.3 liters|
|Cleaning Path||10 inches|
|Highlight Features||2200mAh large capacity battery; 7000PA of suction force; 1.3 liters of dust tank|
It’s frustrating to empty a vacuum dust tank too many times per cleaning task but with the MOOSOO XL-618A, it’s not a thing.
ONSON Stick Vacuum Cleaner – Most flexible
- Offer a great balance of powerful suction force and quiet vacuuming performance
- Provide 2 functional brush heads (with convenient storage) to clean intensively on different surfaces
- The flexible head gives 360-degree cleaning performance to easily vacuum on high-up areas
- Cordless design – you don’t have to unwrap the power cord before use
- Too small for household use
Out of the box, it is quite lightweight and grippy. We love its ergonomic handle that emphasizes a wrap-around grip for less hand fatigue and wrist strain to hold during longer cleaning sessions.
Like other counterparts in our test group, this provides a quick transition between a stick to a handheld vacuum. But as it’s built with superior 12Kpa of suction, this ONSON highlights its vacuuming performance on all sizes of grit from hardwood floors.
And yet, it works silently.
|Dimension||26.8 x 8.9 x 6.3 inches|
|Running Time||20 – 40 Minutes|
|Filter Bag Capacity||0.55L|
|Cleaning Path||10 inches|
|Highlight Features||2 functional brush heads, ergonomic handle; 12Kpa of suction|
The Cordless ONSON is a convenient tool that can quickly finish different cleaning tasks before you even dig your main vacuum out of the closet.
Best upright vacuum cleaners for stairs
Hoover FH50150 – Easy to use
- Can deep-clean many types of carpeted floorings of the hardest dirt stains
- Lightweight and portable to carry up & down the stairs
- All brushes and nozzles are removable for easier maintenance and storage
- Have a water indicator for better control and a quick drier to reduce the drying time of your carpets
- The water tank is small; it requires regular refilling times for big cleaning tasks
Out of three upright models in our side-by-side testing, this is the most lightweight and its low price is quite appealing. But what truly kills our scoring is the user-friendly construction.
Aside from a lightweight, this Hoover has many handles to conveniently carry up or downstairs. All nozzles and brushes are removable so that you can easily switch, clean, and store them with ease.
The brushes themselves are very functional. Their powerful design can make in-depth cleaning on high-pile carpeted stairs, even with the toughest dirt stains.
We also love the water tanks. We believe they are the most integral components to make this vacuum outstanding. Out of one tank for clean water and the other for the dirty, there’s an indicator to tell you when to refill or empty them. Plus, is a quick drier to make your carpets dry out faster.
|Dimension||21.2 x 14.2 x 22.9 inches|
|Tank Size||1 gallon|
|Cleaning Path||12 inches|
|Cord Length||20 feet|
|Highlight Features||SPINSCRUB brush system; 8’ hose, easily accessible water tanks|
For low-tech people, the Hoover FH50150 is literally their life-saver as its simplified construction will help you easily learn and use within minutes.
BISSELL ProHeat 2X 1986 – Best for carpeted stairs
- Give 1-hour faster drying time than other Bissell upright vacuums
- Can work like a vacuum and a carpet cleaner – double value for the price
- Include many packages of cleaning formula and the specialized brushes for optimal cleaning on pet messes
- Have no leakage to optimize the suction power
- Run loudly
- The main unit is prone to overheat when working on thick carpets
It’s a 2-in-1 product that can work as a normal upright vacuum and a carpet cleaner, making it much more valuable for the price.
The ProHeat 2X 1986 is designed to clean pet messes and can give 1-hour quicker drying time than other Bissell upright versions. But the best thing is it has no leakage, which is an occasional problem in other upright vacuum cleaners.
To top all the goodies off, it provides a very good warranty within 5 years – highest on the market so you can buy with lots of confidence.
|Dimension||15 x 12.5 x 43.5 inches|
|Tank Size||1 gallon|
|Cord Length||25 feet|
|Highlight Features||Give 1-hour quicker drying time than other Bissell upright; 5-year warranty; have no leakage|
Nothing can’t beat the powerful suction force of an upright vacuum and with this Bissell, your money is well spent. It’s designed to help you clean all types of carpeted floorings intensively with less effort.
Bissell 86T3 – Best for large space cleaning
- Include 2 ultra-large tanks to clean constantly a full-sized room
- Can work on the thickest carpets, even the Berber without fuzzing up
- Can clean thoroughly pet stains, vomit, urine, as well as remove the pungent odor left behind by such messes
- Feature foldable design to make storing easier
- Not suitable for occasional carpet clean up due to the high price point
Like other upright models in this list, it is designed with pet owners in mind. It highlights a 2-in-1 construction to work efficiently on carpets (even the Berber without fuzzing up) and a quick drier that reduces hours of waiting before you can walk on them.
What makes it stand out from other Bissell and even Rug Doctor carpet cleaners is the expanded tanks’ capacity. So large space cleaning is now its biggest forte.
The 86T3 is also the only upright vacuum in this list that features a foldable design for smaller storage size. When you fold off its handle, the total height is just 25 inches – compact enough to stay inside your closet.
|Dimension||20.5 x 11 x 42.2 inches|
|Tank Size||1.75 gallons|
|Cleaning Path||9 inches|
|Cord Length||25 feet|
|Highlight Features||Tank capacity – 1.75 gallons; foldable handle|
While designed with pet owners in mind, the Bissell 86T3 is outstanding for its ultra-large tank capacity, making it the best for large space cleaning.
How to choose the best vacuum cleaners for stairs?
Types of Vacuum Cleaner
For stairs, there are three common types of vacuum cleaners:
If you’re new to them, here is a highlight of the differences
|Strengths||Powerful suction force to work efficiently on a high-traffic stair|
Not limited runtime
|Easy to move around|
Some stick vacuum units can be easily transitioned to a handheld -> more flexible and convenient
No worry of power cords and power outlets
|Don’t have to bend to clean the stairs|
Not limited runtime
|Weaknesses||Heavy -> effort-taking|
Require power outlets to operate
|You have to ensure it’s fully charged before use|
|Bulky and heavy|
Not suit for long-term illness suffering people or the elderly
Air filtration system
A good built-in air filtration system comes in handy to capture more dust particles while you’re vacuuming around the house. Furthermore, multiple-stage filtration makes filtering more optimal to reduce clogging and losing suction.
If you’re an allergic or asthma person, opt for the vacuum unit featuring a HEPA filtration system as it’s known for strapping up to 99.99% molecules, as small as 0.3 microns, or even smaller.
This type of filter importantly can prevent dust and dirt from escaping back into the air.
When cleaning stairs, you obviously have to carry your vacuum cleaner up and down the stair many times. So the more lightweight and compact the unit, the better.
Who makes the best vacuum cleaners for stairs?
This is one of several brands developed by Midea Group. It was founded by Fred Wardell in 1909, Canada as a vacuum manufacturer. Thanks to the great support, it has created many different types of vacuums and widely sold by lots of national retailers globally.
Established in 1899, Miele is one of the most famous Germania manufacturers of premium household appliances. It has won some certain achievements and awards, such as the most successful company in Germany in 2007 and Best Domestic Appliance Brand in the UK in 2010.
Another long-standing vacuum manufacturer is Oreck, which was set up in 1963 by David Oreck. What makes its current success is the upright vacuum cleaner lines but now, they have been expanded to other types, receiving lots of compliments on quality and performance.
This is an American privately owned company, known for manufacturing and global distributing vacuum cleaners. Up to now, it has had over 140 years’ expertise in this industry and in 2009, Bissell outpaced Hoover to take the No.1 for floor-care sales in North America, with a 20% market share.
Hoover was founded in 1908 by William Henry Hoover in Ohio, US. As mentioned, Hoover had dominated the electric vacuum cleaner industry until 2009. However, it is still an iconic brand in the EU with significant sales.
Why do vacuums lose suction?
If that’s not dust or dirt, it must be something stuck in the vacuum’s filters or hose, which causes the suction to lose. An overfull dust bag is also a reason making it lose suction, you should empty it regularly when cleaning.
Why is my vacuum not picking up dirt?
Vacuum cleaners suck up dirt through its suction power so if one can’t pick up dirt anymore, there might be some problems happened in the suction. Check for a blockage in either the hose, filter, or dust bag.
How do I make my vacuum cleaner suction better?
If anything you can do to prevent your vacuum cleaner from getting blocked or clogged, just do:
- Clean the rollers regularly
- If your vacuum is an upright model, make sure its rubber belt is still functional to help rotate the brushes. If it gets so many wears and tears, replace.
- Check if the attachments or hose is mounted properly or tightly. Ensure there’s no air escape from the system.
- Unclog the hose and filter while regularly empty the dust bag
- Choose the right setting for the floor types it is working on
How long should a vacuum last?
Averagely are 8 years, under proper maintenance and care.
How do I know if my vacuum motor is bad?
Observe and test it! Here are some common ways to check whether a vacuum motor is bad or not:
- Check if there is a burning, smoky vacuum smell: This is serious damage; you should replace it as soon as possible.
- Check if there is a “click” sound at the vacuum when you start it. If not, replace it.
- If it is out of the vacuum cleaner, carefully use direct 110 volt leads to hot-wire it
- Sometimes, shit happens in a bad connection of your wire connections, so check it.
- If you see slight blue sparks at the carbon brush on the commutator, don’t fret, it’s normal. However, if such blue sparks are wrapping around the commutator and large, replace the carbon brushes
It requires a gamut of features to consider if you’re serious to choose the best vacuum cleaners for stairs so don’t purely focus on just their suction power or weight.
We hope the detailed guide above has given you some informative advice and choices to pick the right one for your needs. Thanks for reading!
Table of Contents
- Best canister vacuum cleaners for stairs
- Best stick vacuum cleaners for stairs
- Best upright vacuum cleaners for stairs
- How to choose the best vacuum cleaners for stairs?
- Who makes the best vacuum cleaners for stairs?