When you’re in the market looking for the best 10,000-watt generator, might your research tell you that they come in different uses? That’s why it’s not easy to answer which is the right one for you? But it isn’t impossible, either!
The 8 following options are only the top-rated out there:
- DuroMax XP12000EH – Best overall
- Westinghouse WGen9500DF – Best dual fuel generator
- Champion 8000-Watt – Top rated
- All Power America APGG10000 – Budget-friendly
- Pulsar PG12000B – Easy to switch fuel sources
- WEN 5613K – Best for construction sites
- A-iPower SUA12000E – Effortless move
- HONDA EB10000 – Highest quality
DuroMax XP12000EH – Best overall
- POWERFUL DUROMAX ENGINE: The XP12000EH is Powered by a DuroMax 18HP, 457cc DuroMax OHV Engine
- PLENTY OF POWER: With 12,000 starting watts and 9,500 running watts, this unit can handle heavy loads from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools
- DUAL FUEL TECHNOLOGY: This generator runs on gasoline or propane giving you the freedom and flexibility of fuel choice.
- MX2 TECHNOLOGY: With DuroMax MX2 technology, get the maximum power from each of the 120 Volt receptacles; Choose between operating the generator at both 120V and 240V simultaneously, or at 120V only with full power
- Meet all safety requirements to be widely used throughout the US
- Have collapsible handles and rugged wheels for easy transport
- Offer multiple types of outlets to run different types of devices at a time
- The tires don’t work well
- Not helpful instructions
- Don’t have load indicator on the generator
While providing two options of fuel, it highlights a wide range of outlet receptacles – 2 twist locks, 1 GFCI household outlet, and 50V heavy-duty – to operate multiple appliances at a time.
The 10kW generator is also energy-efficient that at 50% output on a single tank of propane, it can run 20 hours. On gasoline, 10 hours.
If you prefer some technical information, it meets both EPA and CARB requirements. This allows them to be widely used over 50 states in America and meanwhile, keep their customers rest assured of their safety.
|Peak Watts/Running Watts||Gasoline & Propane: 12,000W/9,500W|
|Noise Level||70 – 72 dB|
|Max Runtime||Gasoline: 10 hours|
Propane: 20 hours
|Highlight Features||DuroMax 18HP, 457cc OHV Engine; dual-fuel technology; 4 different types of outlets; CPA & CARB approved|
The DuroMax XP12000EH is remarkable in both versatility and safety, making it one of the greatest investments for anyone who needed adequate power.
Westinghouse WGen9500DF – Best dual fuel generator
- 9500 Running Watts and 12500 Peak Watts (Gasoline); 8500 Running Watts, 11200 Peak Watts (Propane); Remote Start With Included Key Fob, Electric and Recoil Start; Up to 12 Hours of Run Time on a 6. 6 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge
- Features Two GFCI 120V 5–20R Standard Household Receptacle, One Transfer Switch Ready 120V L14-30R, and One RV Ready 120/240V 14–50R; All Outlets Have Rubber Covers for Added Safety
- Powered by a Heavy Duty 457cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine Featuring a Long-Lasting Cast Iron Sleeve With Automatic Low Oil Shutdown and Digital Hour Meter
- Plug-and-Play: Comes With a Remote Start Key Fob, 12V Battery Charger, Oil, an Oil Funnel, a Tool Kit, and a User’s Manual to Get You Started Right Out of the Box (Minimal Assembly Required)
- Very cost-efficient to run longer at less amount of fuel needed -> economic
- Give multiple ways to operate the generator for the utmost convenience
- 5 outlets – can run RV appliances, electronics, and household devices at the same time
- Have rubber covers for extra safety
- Upon arrival, the battery isn't connected to the generator
Out of the highest peak watt rating – 12,500W on gasoline & 11,200W on propane, it impresses us through the unbeatable fuel efficiency. On a modest 6.6-gallon tank with a fuel gauge, it can run up to 17.5 hours.
You are also given the freedom to operate this generator – by the traditional recoil start, the electric start, or the remote start with an included key fob.
Using this powerful generator, you can feel ease in mind. While meeting EPA and CARB compliant, all of its 5 outlets are protected by rubber covers.
In addition, the warranty of this product is better – 3 years with a nationwide support network and customer service. So what else to ask?
|Peak Watts/Running Watts||Gasoline: 12,500W/9,500W|
|Noise Level||62 – 74 dB|
|Max Runtime||17.5 hours|
|Highlight Features||5 different types of outlets; Remote Start With Included Key Fob, Electric and Recoil Start; Long-Lasting Cast Iron Sleeve With Automatic Low Oil Shutdown and Digital Hour Meter; EPA and CARB Compliant|
If multiple fuel options are the biggest concern of yours, the Westinghouse WGen9500DF is the best contender.
Champion 8000-Watt – Top rated
- Dual Fuel – Operate your 8000-watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or propane, plus the unit holds 1.2-quarts of oil (included) and has a low oil shut-off sensor
- Electric start – Power up the 459cc Champion engine with the handy toggle switch, battery included
- Intelligauge – Keep track of voltage, hertz and run-time hours to easily monitor power output and track maintenance intervals
- Powerful – At 10,000 starting watts and 8000 running watts on gasoline and 9025 starting watts and 7250 running watts on propane, trust Volt Guard built-in surge protector to prevent overloads
- Provide Interlligauge to help you easily track its maintenance intervals and monitor power output
- Prevent overloads efficiently
- Can be used right out of the box
- A bit noisy
- Too many switches, breakers, and receptacles might make beginners confused
Besides a battery included upon arrival, you’ll also find in its package a low oil shut-off sensor and 1.2 quarts of oil. Only some minimal assembly required and it’s ready to use.
The unit comes in dual-fuel technology applications like most counterparts in our list. But thanks to the added intelligence and Volt Guard built-in surge protector, they proof that Champion really knows how to make the safest muscular generator.
Regardless, you will receive some extra convenience, such as the electric start and the handy toggle switch.
|Peak Watts/Running Watts||Gasoline: 10,000W/8,000W|
|Noise Level||74 dB|
|Max Runtime||Gasoline: 8 hours|
Propane: 5 hours
|Highlight Features||Electric start; Intelligauge; trust Volt Guard built-in surge protector; engine with the handy toggle switch; battery & 1.2-quarts of oil included; has a low oil shut-off sensor|
With years’ expertise in creating generators, Champion has provided this 8000-watt version with not only strength and convenience but also safety and control.
All Power America APGG10000 – Budget-friendly
- IMPORTANT NOTE: All shipments require a working phone number to schedule delivery and proper address for the unit to be shipped out, or your order may be delayed or cancelled.
- 10000 watt peak power, 8000 watt rated power.
- 15 HP 420cc OHV air cooled engine
- Runs 9 hours at 1/2 load
- Use the air-cooled engine to avoid overheating, keep it last longer
- Include hour meter to easily track its working status
- It isn’t CARB compliant -> Can’t be used in California
This generator features an 8-gallon fuel tank, runs powerfully in 9 hours at 50% load, and meets EPA requirements. With 7 different outlets provided and 10kW peak power, it is versatile enough to run a wide gamut of home appliances during blackouts or heavy-duty tasks.
Though the loud noise got most of our testers’ grievances, its extra convenience is a big plus. Included in the package you will find a flat-free wheel kit, maintenance-free battery, and hour meter.
Particularly, the APGG10000 features an engine that’s built with air-cooling ability. This addition helps prevent the machine from overheating and therefore, keep it last longer.
|Peak Watts/Running Watts||10,000W/8,000W|
|Noise Level||76 dB|
|Max Runtime||9 hours|
|Highlight Features||15 HP 420cc OHV air-cooled engine; 7 outlets; Include hour meter, maintenance-free Battery and flat-free wheel kit; EPA certified|
At a tight budget, we understand how nerve-wracking it is to find a 10kW generator without compromising quality and safety. That’s why we suggest this!
Pulsar PG12000B – Easy to switch fuel sources
- 12,000W Peak/ 9,500W Rated (Gasoline) & 10,800W Peak/ 8,550W Rated (LPG)
- 457cc, OHV Engine, CARB Approved
- (4) 120V Outlets, (1) 120/240V Twist-lock Outlet, (1) 120/240V 50 Amp RV Outlet, & (1) 12V DC Output
- Switch & Go Capability with Electric Push Start and Recoil Back-up
- Highlight the Switch & Go technology to keep the machine running during the switch between fuel sources
- Provide a 3-in-1 digital meter to let you track many indicators of the machine
- Portable and easy to transport
- The solenoid is a bit troublesome
- Don’t have GFCI household outlets or RV ready outlets
While some guys hate this, a generator that provides a seamless transition between fuel sources while in use without the user missing a beat makes sense. Enter the Pulsar PG12000B.
It highlights the Switch & Go technology which is known for that benefit.
Meanwhile, the machine also gives you many add-on features, such as solid wheels and drop-down handles to help with easy transport. Or the 3-in-1 digital meter that you can track multiple indicators and control them.
The biggest bonus is the dual operating features, including an electric push start for effortless usage and a recoil back-up to use during the winter. Of course, this unit still meets full safety requirements – CARB approved and air-cooled engine.
|Peak Watts/Running Watts||Gasoline: 12,000W / 9,500W|
Propane: 10,800W / 8,550W
|Noise Level||85 – 92 dB|
|Max Runtime||Gasoline: 12 hours|
|Highlight Features||457cc, OHV Engine, CARB Approved; Switch & Go Capability; Electric Push Start and Recoil Back-up; 3 in 1 Digital Meter, Drop-down Handles and 10” Never-flat Wheels|
While it’s hard for most dual-fuel generators to switch fuel sources when you’re still using them, the Pulsar PG12000B isn’t a thing.
WEN 5613K – Best for construction sites
- EPA III 4-stroke OHV twin-cylinder engine produces 13000 surge watts and 11000 rated watts, more than enough for a reliable source of standby power
- Includes four 120V 20A outlets, one 120V 30A RV outlet, one 120/240V 30A twist lock, one 120/240V 50 A outlet, and one car-charger-style 12V DC outlet
- Perfect for construction sites, natural disasters, and power outages
- 8-gallon fuel tank provides 7.5 hour run time at half load
- Powerful enough to run multiple heavy-duty tasks at construction sites or big house appliances
- Safe for most vulnerable electronics
- Pretty loud
- Don’t have a wattage output display
It provides 13kW peak power and 11kW running power with stability to keep on any heavy-duty tasks or big house appliances. With an 8-gallon fuel tank, the machine can run continuously within 7.5 hours at ½ load.
The biggest selling point is, it only has less than 5% total harmonic distortion, implying a safe standby power for vulnerable electronics to operate.
And with 5 different types of outlets, including one car-charger-style, one heavy-duty 50Am and other twist locking plugs, it will meet anyone’s power needs with high satisfaction.
|Peak Watts/Running Watts||13,000W / 11,000W|
|Noise Level||82 dB|
|Max Runtime||7.5 hours|
|Highlight Features||EPA III 4-stroke OHV twin-cylinder engine; 13000 surge watts and 11000 rated watts; Added wheel kit and handle kit; have less than 5% total harmonic distortion|
If you are finding an adequately powerful generator to run your heavy-duty tasks in construction sites, this is exactly what you’re after.
A-iPower SUA12000E – Effortless move
- 12, 000 starting watts/ 9, 000 running watts with electric start
- Keyless one-touch push button provides an effortless start
- 7. 0 gallon, large heavy duty all steel construction fuel tank provides up to 9 hours of run time at 50% load
- Effortless move. Large 9. 5in Never-Flat wheels designed for heavy duty loads and improved traction and mobility over rough terrain, ultimate on the job mobility
- Provide ultra-large non-flat wheels to move the machine with ease
- Equipped with numerous safety features for extra protection
- Provide keyless one-touch push button to start the unit effortlessly
- None CARB complied, can’t be shipped to California
It weighs 206 pounds, and yet provides two ultra-large 9.5” non-flat wheels that are designed to bear heavy loads with no problems. On the other hand, the great enhancement in mobility and traction suffices to make it roll over the harshest terrains with less effort.
Purpose-built to save the customers from unwanted troubles, we appreciate that this generator is packed with full safety features.
For example, a cord protective cover, neutral bonded to the frame, and some GFCI outlets.
Just a pity that it’s not CARB complied so if you’re living in California, there’s no way to buy it.
|Peak Watts/Running Watts||12,000W / 9,000W|
|Noise Level||78 dB|
|Max Runtime||9 hours|
|Highlight Features||Large 9. 5in Never-Flat wheels; Gfci protected outlets; Built-in DC adapter plug & included Dc charging cables; cord protective cover; Keyless one-touch push button; Neutral Bonded to frame|
By knowing that weight is one of the reasons stopping many people from picking a large generator, the A-iPower SUA12000E has been specifically designed for the effortless movement, making it a life-saver for those who live alone.
HONDA EB10000 – Highest quality
- Built from the most durable commercial engine to stand the test of time
- Require really less maintenance
- Meet ANSI, OSHA, and LA-ELT regulations to ensure quality and safety
- Very heavy
It’s crafted from the Honda GX630 commercial engine – the signature Honda component and the statue of durability in the generator world.
Besides, an incredible thing is it requires little to no maintenance but still last for decades.
Well, maybe lie in the easy-off plastic top cover and some removable components such as oil gauge and air cleaner. They make the cleaning process can’t be simpler.
Lastly, as a big bonus, it meets ANSI, OSHA, and LA-ELT regulations.
|Peak Watts/Running Watts||10,000W / 9,000W|
|Noise Level||71 – 73 dB|
|Max Runtime||7.2 hours|
|Highlight Features||Honda GX630 commercial engine; easy-off plastic top cover; removable oil gauge and air cleaner; meets ANSI, OSHA, and LA-ELT regulations|
In search of the highest-quality 10kW generator? The Honda EB10000 is an exceptional choice.
How to choose a good 10000-watt generator? (Buying guide)
Maneuverability & Portability
As most 10kW generators are very heavy in general – within 150 – 250 pounds, some might be even 400 pounds (like the HONDA EB10000), you can’t just lift it up and carry around.
That’s why we highly recommend choosing ones that are built with wheels. They will allow you to push or pull the generator here and there effortlessly no matter you’re working in a group or alone.
Pay attention to the wheels’ construction!
It’s best to go for the solid, non-flat wheels that are durable enough to bear such hefty load and on the other hand, can roll smoothly on different terrains with no puncture or inflating.
Choose the one with two addition drop-down handles if possible. They will help two people share the load when they want to move the machine somewhere.
Runtime & Fuel Efficiency
We guess nobody like to run in and out of the house just to refill their generator’s fuel tank all the time.
If you just want to turn it on and let it run for a certain amount of time, then consider carefully its runtime. This feature is influenced majorly by the machine’s fuel efficiency.
As a basic rule of thumb, the more power drawn from a generator, the more fuel burnt.
To calculate how fuel efficiency of its engine, pay attention to the amount of time it can run at a certain percentage of the load.
For example, the generator A can run in 8 hours at 25% load of an 8-gal fuel tank. At the same percentage of load and fuel tank size, generator B can run in 10 hours so B is more fuel efficiency.
As these features are usually shown on the product’s spec sheet, you can look into that and make a comparison on your own.
Auto shutoff is the highly-recommended safety feature that any generator should have.
If your generator runs out of oil, it will automatically shut down to avoid wears and short circuit fast. It also helps to prevent overload sensors when you plug in too many appliances at a time.
For those who don’t know, an overload sensor might lead to serious damage on the generator or in the worst case, is fire.
Which brand of generators is the best?
Westinghouse nails up with over 130 years’ expertise in this field. And that’s also a precious opportunity to let them learn and continuously improve the human-focused design as well as harness the ground-breaking technology.
A bit younger, we have WEN – founded in 1951 by Nick Anton. It has a separate research and development team to gain insights about customers’ needs when developing a specific product line.
An impressive mark is by 2001, they had sold over 50 million consumer units over the world.
Champion was founded in 2003 with the aim to provide durable and dependent generators at the most cost-efficient price range. Up to now, with 2.5 million generators sold throughout North America, it is no doubt the market leader in this industry.
Established in the same year as Champion but DuroMax focuses more on dual-fuel generator lines. What we love the most in this brand is, aside from the enhancement of products’ durability, reliability, and quality, it also improves customer service.
All Power America
Founded in 2005, All Power America has currently been a global manufacturer and also the distributor of outdoor power generation equipment.
Though their products are produced in China, they have passed many separate international regulations, such as CSA, UL, and CARB.
This Japanese company is one of the most popular brands worldwide that can’t be beaten. If there’s only one sure thing on Earth, Honda is the pioneer of technology and meticulousness in this industry.
Compared to the previous big names, Pulsar is like a newcomer in this industry and yet, it is one of the fastest-growing brands with an emphasis on innovation. Besides, the low price range is another forte that helps Pulsar beat against other competitors.
Through years of great technical depth and design experience, A-iPower has gained a good reputation, being one of the most reliable generator brands in America.
Can a 10000-watt generator power a house?
We actually can’t tell you whether a 10000-watt generator can power a house or not as it depends on how many appliances and which appliances that you want it to operate.
In general, a generator which supplies 10kW can hold up well basic essentials in addition to electric hot water heaters, well pumps, and larger AC. There might be some power leftover which is great for kids to busy with a desktop computer or video game.
Can I run my generator in the rain?
It’s typically unsafe to run a generator in the rain but yes, you can. There are some safety solutions to allow doing so:
- Protect your generator from the rain and wind by using a special weatherproof canopy
- Cover it with a proper steel enclosure
- You can make a DIY generator cover to save money
Is it cheaper to run a generator on propane or gas?
Speaking of the operation cost, running a generator on gas is more economical and it’s also more energy-efficient.
However, propane strikes back with cleaner-burning so the lifetime of your generator is lengthened more than using gas. So in the long term, we would say propane is a more cost-efficient option.
How long will a generator run on a 20 lb propane tank?
In general, a 20-pound propane tank can keep a generator run for about 18 to 20 hours at 25% load.
What size generator do I need to run power tools?
To run power tools, it’s good to opt for a 5000-watt generator or larger. The generator size is dependent on how many power tools that you want to run.
At the end of the day, the best 10000-watt generators should be the one that can offer enough power while being quality.
To find out which is the right for you, measuring the workload that you need it for is an essential step. Don’t just blindly focus on the price, the design, or your budget, but rather on what it can bring up for you.
Now, it’s your turn. Good luck!