A memory foam mattress is probably a good solution for sleepers of all types or suffering some health issues like back pain, shoulders and hips’ ache. It’s also ideal for couples to restlessly sleep together without interrupting their partner on the other side.
Good products don’t need to cost the Earth! Let this article help you find out the best memory foam mattress under 500. Start with the list below:
- Zinus 12 Inch Gel-Infused Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress – Best overall
- Classic Brands Cool Gel 1.0 Ultimate Gel Memory Foam – Best for severe back issues
- Chime by Ashley – 10 Inch Chime Express Memory Foam Mattress – Best for allergy sufferers
- Olee Sleep 10 Inch Gel Infused Layer Top Memory Foam Mattress – Best for side sleepers
- LUCID 12 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress – Best breathability
- AmazonBasics Memory Foam Mattress – Budget-friendly
Zinus 12 Inch Gel-Infused Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress – Best overall
- AS COOL AS IT GETS - Settle in to a bed made with our most cooling formula yet, promising perfectly temperature-regulated sleep and a clean feeling night after night, all thanks to our enveloping memory foam packed with cooling gel and green tea
- PRESSURE-RELIEVING FOAMS - 2 inch ultra-cooling gel and green tea infused memory foam, 3 inches soft comfort foam, and 7 total inches durable high density base support foam; ideal for side sleepers and average-weight sleepers
- CERTIPUR US CERTIFIED - Highest quality foam is CertiPUR US Certified for durability, performance, and content
- EXPERTLY PACKAGED - Our technology allows this mattress to be efficiently compressed into one box that’s easily shipped and maneuvered into the bedroom; simply unbox, unroll and this mattress does the rest, expanding to its original shape within 72 hours
- Feature an additional 3.5” high-density foam for extra support and softness than other versions to fit all sleep styles
- Can quickly recover to its original shape -> ideal for sleepers with mobility issues
- Give cool feeling while you sleep -> save you from nigh sweating
- Added green tea extract for anti-bacteria ability and soothing scent
- Bulky and heavy
- It’s time-taking for the mattress to inflate fully
While other versions feature three layers as maximum, this comes in 4, including one additional 3.5” high-density foam, which soups up the mattress’s softness and supports significantly. Because of that, it’s versatile enough to fit all sleep styles.
That said, the mattress still delivers a good density (thanks to its gel-infused memory foam material) for airflow so it doesn’t make you wake up hot at midnight.
The best thing about this mattress is its motion absorption capability, the meaning of its quick recovery time. So if you have mobility issues, this would be the best supportive mattress to save you from soreness the next morning.
|Weight Capacity||300 pounds|
|Overall Weight||75.1 pounds|
|Highlight Features||2-inch memory foam and 2.5-inch super-soft foam and 5.5-inch high-density foam|
Zinus 12” Gel-Infused might be one of the most perfect-all-kill mattresses at under 400 out there which will give you not only support and comfort but also cooling experience.
Classic Brands Cool Gel 1.0 Ultimate Gel Memory Foam – Best for severe back issues
- 76" W x 80" L x 14" H
- Premium pressure-relieving memory foam and high-density aerated cool gel memory foam are combined together to provide the essential support and comfort for a deeper night's sleep
- Beautifully tailored and detailed with a stretch knit fabric cover with waterfall edge and matching knit side panels
- Gel infused ventilated memory foam creates a plush and comfortable sleeping surface for a more restful night's sleep; high-density base foam relieves pressure points and conforms to your body, and provides unparalleled support during the night
- Feature ultra-thick and firmer design with decent support to suit for bad back
- Very silent -> not distract your sleep, especially when you’re sleeping with another partner
- CertiPUR – US certification & a 10-year warranty -> safe and reliable -> give you more confidence to try it
- A bit expensive
- Heavy and hard to move around
- Have a slight odor when unpacked
It features one 2” cooling gel top layer, two 2” high-density memory foam layers, and one 8” base layer. The increase in thickness has maximized the motion absorption to make sure the edge support is always top-notch.
But making it outstanding is how firm it actually is. For those who don’t prefer the slow-sinking feeling while laying on other memory foam mattresses or people who are suffering back pain, this is a potential contender.
It’s also safe and reliable to use. While featuring the CertiPUR – US certification, the unit is backed by a 10-year warranty.
|Profile (Inches)||14 inches|
|Weight Capacity||350 – 600 pounds|
|Overall Weight||94 pounds|
|Highlight Features||Premium pressure-relieving memory foam and high density aerated cool gel memory foam|
Built with extra firmness yet good support and motion absorption, the Classic Brands Cool Gel 1.0 will surely go beyond your initial expectations to save your back from feeling in fire.
Chime Express Memory Foam Mattress – Best for allergy sufferers
- CAL KING SIZE BED IN A BOX. Restful slumber simplified. This mattress has a heavenly balance of comfort and support that contours your body, and leaves you recharged every morning—how invigorating
- SUPPORTIVE MEMORY FOAM. Mattress is designed with memory foam that contours to your body, while support foam relieves pressure points on your body. Premium stretch knit cover is a dream
- MAINTENANCE FREE: Made of hypoallergenic material to keep out dust mites, pollen, mold and pet dander—perfect for kids or adults who suffer from allergies
- CALIFORNIA KING SIZE: Measures 71" W x 83.5" D x 10" H and is compatible with most california king bed frames
- Made of premium hypoallergenic memory foam to add up the ability to eliminate allergic agents, keeping your sleep uninterrupted through the night
- Less bulky and slightly lighter without compromising of support
- Still have some odor in the first few days
It is crafted 100% of premium hypoallergenic memory foam to deliver not only great body contouring ability but also keeps out all agents that potentially make your allergy situation worse. Such agents include pet dander, mold, pollen, and dust mites.
So if you have serious allergies, this mattress will help.
During our tests, we’re also satisfied with its sweet spot between support and comfort. It’s not too soft nor dense, just very reasonable and balance to leave you fully recharged every morning.
|Profile (Inches)||10 inches|
|Weight Capacity||< 300 pounds|
|Overall Weight||71 pounds|
|Highlight Features||Made of hypoallergenic material to keep out dust mites, pollen, mold, and pet dander|
Seriously, we don’t have anything bad to say about the quality or performance of this mattress. If you suffer from terrible allergies, it’s the best bet.
Olee Sleep 10 Inch Gel Infused Layer Top Memory Foam Mattress – Best for side sleepers
- Your purchase includes One Olee Sleep Aquarius 10-Inch Memory Foam Mattress in Blue, California King Size
- Item's dimensions: 82" W x 74"L x 10"H. Feel: Medium-Firm
- Remove packaging within 72 hours, and allow an extra 48-72 hours for proper decompression
- Fits all frames: Steel, wood or platform bed frames, box springs and floor.
- Avoid the sinking feel while laying on -> help you easier to move around on it or get up
- Relieve pressure points efficiently, especially on neck, shoulders, and hips -> perfect for side sleepers
- Include a cover which is soft and plush
- Have an unpleasant smell to it at first
- It becomes a bit harder in cold temperature (under 35 degrees F), you should adjust the temp of the bedroom reasonably
Regardless, it highlights a wise material blend of 93% polyester and 7% spandex, which compared to other counterparts at this price range, it’s much better in relieving pressure points. It’s still soft and comfortable but doesn’t feel like you’re sinking in it.
And the recovery time is quick enough to retain its support when you shift or turn to the other side. It’s also thick enough – 10 inches – to save you from the feeling of touch the ground.
You can say that this mattress is specifically designed for side sleepers or people who are suffering hips and shoulders’ issues.
|Profile (Inches)||10 inches|
|Weight Capacity||300 pounds|
|Overall Weight||66.1 pounds|
|Highlight Features||High-Density Base Layer; Quality Medium Firm|
If you’re a side sleeper or have one shoulder suffered some nagging issues from an injury, we assure you that you’ll be happy with this mattress.
LUCID 12 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress – Best breathability
- Medium-plush feel; 12" memory foam mattress with 3" ventilated gel memory foam surface, 1" bamboo charcoal memory foam support layer and 8" high density foam base
- Top memory foam layer infused with gel beads to prevent overheating
- Ventilated design improves breathability of sleep layer; open cell construction yields a longer lasting, more resilient foam that resists lasting body impressions
- TENCEL Lyocell blend cover adds softness and moisture-wicking comfort. Ideal Sleeping Position - Side, Back, Stomach
- Feature 3” gel-infused memory foam layer with gel beads and open-cell technology for a better cooling experience
- Include a moisture-wicking cover to soup up the mattress’s breathability
- The pocket sheets should be deeper
Or in other words, it’s much cooler than other 12” gel-infused memory foam mattresses. The reason is its ultra-thick ventilated gel memory foam layer, which is up to 3 inches for better performance.
And besides, the cooling gel formula is produced with gel beads and open-cell technology so that it can capture and distribute heat more efficiently.
Regardless, it features a TENCEL Lyocell blend cover with the functionality of moisture-wicking and medium-plush feeling, saving you from night sweating and giving a deeper slumber.
Another notable feature is its 1” bamboo charcoal memory foam layer for not only better support but also odor absorption, hence, keeping the mattress minimal maintenance.
|Profile (Inches)||12 inches|
|Weight Capacity||300 pounds|
|Overall Weight||85 pounds|
|Highlight Features||ventilated design; 10-Year Warranty; TENCEL Lyocell blend cover|
If you’re a hot sleeper, just count on this LUCID 12” Mattress. It will let you see no difference in temp regardless of the weather or seasons, just a comfortable and cool experience.
AmazonBasics Memory Foam Mattress – Budget-friendly
- Plush-feeling memory-foam layer adapts to the contours of the body and comfortably conforms to different sleep positions
- Twin-size memory-foam mattress with 3 foam layers for optimal softness and support
- Item's dimensions: 75" W x 39"L x 8"H. Item's weight: 24.1 lbs.
- A safe mattress to sleep on: Certipur-US certified foam, safe and quality foam and Oeko-Tex certified top fabric.
- Meet all standards of Certipur-US program and the Oeko-Tex standards for safety, durability, emissions, and comfort
- The most inexpensive mattress in this list, priced under $130
- Feature air holes in the middle layer and curvy surface in the bottom layer for extra breathability
- Have the unique new foam odor
- Not suitable for people who don’t like the sinking feeling or stomach sleepers
The good news is such concerns will be solved completely with this AmazonBasics. And plus, it’s very affordable.
For an 8-inch high mattress, sizing 75 x 39 inches, it’s just under $130.
That said, the materials have met all strict regulations of the Certipur-US program as well as the Oeko-Tex standards.
And the middle layer features multiple holes for airflow, so aside from support and comfort, this unit is breathable and cool (literally!).
|Profile (Inches)||8 inches|
|Weight Capacity||< 250 pounds|
|Overall Weight||24.1 pounds|
|Highlight Features||3 foam layers; Certipur-US certified foam, and Oeko-Tex certified; Plush-feeling|
For those who are in a tight budget and looking for a twin-size memory foam mattress, we highly recommend this affordable yet functional product from AmazonBasics. You won’t regret it, we promise!
How to choose the best memory foam mattress under $500?
Memory Foam Type
It’s not true that all memory foam is the same.
In fact, there are various memory foam types out there but for the budget of under 500, you’ve got three main options to choose from:
Gel memory foam: This is the latest type of memory foam, highlighting the higher amount of air circulation through the mattress, making it dissipate heat better. For that reason, it’s the most favorite of hot sleepers.
Latex foam: It’s good at aligning the sleeper’s body shape combining with decent comfort and plushness. But making it outstanding is the antimicrobial and hypoallergenic capability to keep out all pollens, mold, or other allergy agents. It’s the best choice for allergic people.
Traditional memory foam: It delivers all basic functions of the memory foam material which are increased air circulation, pressure point relief, and body contouring for support.
Memory foam mattresses commonly feature a thickness range within 6 inches to 14 inches.
In general, the thinner the mattress, the more inexpensive. But thicker models will give you better softness, support, comfort, and airflow, especially for heavy sleepers because they’re constructed from more layers with thicker base foam.
If you’re in a tight budget but in need of an ultra-thick memory foam mattress, don’t worry, another alternative choice is going for a thinner mattress to save money and top it with a quality mattress topper.
Consider your sleeping style
There are three common styles of sleeping – back sleepers, stomach sleepers, and side sleepers.
The easiest signals to know that you’re choosing a wrong mattress is you usually feel soreness, especially in back, shoulders, hips, or neck in the morning.
While memory foam is known as a versatile option to solve this problem, you still have to consider the right firmness for your sleeping style. If you’re a side sleeper, choose an ultra-soft mattress while a firm model is the best choice for people who sleep on their stomachs.
And lastly, back sleepers should go for a medium-firm mattress to help align your spine properly while sleeping.
Who makes the best memory foam mattress under $500?
Zinus is the only Chinese brand that we feel reliable enough to add to this list. It’s one of the biggest memory foam product manufacturers in China and now is becoming a global brand with over one million sq. ft. distribution centers in the US.
Importantly, all of their products meet Certipur-US standards.
One of the longest-standing brands in our list, Classic Brands was founded in 1971 with the Classic Corporation. It’s a big manufacturer with over 100,000 square foot facilities placed in Maryland and Los Angeles.
With over 70 years’ expertise, AshleyFurniture has now been the leader in this industry with more than 700 HomeStores around the world.
Are memory foam mattresses under 500 any good?
Not only “under 500” but at any price range, we promise you’ll get some quality memory foam mattresses. Just follow our provided buying guide above and the process will be simplified hugely.
Memory foam vs. hybrid mattress – which is better?
We would say each type of mattress will give you specific strengths and weaknesses, depending on your needs and preference. Here is a detail comparison table to help you determine which is the right one for you:
|Memory Foam Mattress||Hybrid Mattress|
|Highlight features||Feature no springs, only foam|
Slowly compress when you apply pressure on it
Made of polymer
|A mix of two different mattress styles, commonly is spring and foam|
It might have pocketed coils
The comfort layer could include memory foam, polyfoam, or latex.
|Strengths||Quiet to not disturb another partner while both of you are sleeping|
Cut down on motion transfer
Deliver better pressure relief
|Offer better support, especially for back and stomach sleepers|
Deliver more airflow for better breathability
Can handle heavier loading weight
|Weaknesses||It makes you feel like you’re sinking in it – hard to get up or move around|
Can sag over time
Might trap heat, not suitable for hot sleepers
Poor motion transfer, you might distract other’s sleep when shifting or moving
Is a 10 or 12-inch mattress better?
The 12” mattress is ideal for heavier sleepers who need a better thickness and sturdiness level in their mattress. The 10” is better for most people.
Is a 12-inch mattress thick enough?
This feature is dependent on your preference and needs in terms of the mattress’s thickness. The thicker the mattress, the more supportive and comfortable.
How long do memory foam mattresses under 500 last?
With all the provided information, now that you know what to look for the best memory foam mattress under 500 with more confidence.
Remember, the mattress that fits snugly to you and your needs is the right one. Don’t follow trends or others’ choices.
Thanks for reading!