Having a garbage disposal system in your kitchen can mean ultra-convenience. Imagine throwing your left overs down the sink and flipping a switch they are gone without clogging up your sink. Think about the added convenience of not having to have vegetable matter in your under sink garbage bin causing a bad odor and attracting insects. It even reduces the frequency of you having to take out the garbage.
But what exactly is a garbage disposal? A garbage disposal system allows you to put your waste down your sink instead of into a bin. Basically it electrically powered equipment that is installed under your kitchen sink between the drain of the sink and the trap. The device shreds your waste into tiny pieces approximately 2 mm in size allowing the waste to pass through your plumbing, hence the convenience of these systems.
The best garbage disposal systems are quiet yet powerful enough to get the job done and last the test of time while performing efficiently on a continuous basis.
ADVANTAGES OF USING A GARBAGE DISPOSAL
These units are environmentally friendly or eco-friendly because they help to reduce the amount of waste that ends up in landfills. There is an estimated 20% of environmental waste that is made up of food scraps and a garbage disposal system can drastically reduce and even eliminate that number if every home installs one. Placing your food scraps down the garbage disposal allows it to become fertilizer or a source of renewable energy rather than end up in a landfill. The average cost per year for installing a garbage disposal is $0.50 – it’s a win-win situation.
IMPROVES YOUR PLUMBING
We all know that some food scraps end up in the kitchen sink even without a disposal system present. When there is no garbage disposal you run the risk of clogging your plumbing and requiring the services of a plumber. A very difficult clog could really run you a hefty bill. When your sink becomes clogged and you have a garbage disposal unit installed you can simply turn on the water and turn on the disposal system. The system will take care of the scraps and in no time you will have gotten rid of the clog in the drain.
ENHANCES KITCHEN CLEANING
With a garbage disposal system installed, gone are the days when you have to remove the foods scraps from each plate before placing them into the sink. Now you can skip that step and have your kitchen cleaned up in less time. This is especially great if you have a large household or have guests. Simply run water down your plates and utensils rinsing away the food scrap and place items into your dishwasher then run your garbage disposal to get rid of the food scraps.
ALLEVIATES PRESSURE ON PIPES
When you have a garbage disposal system in place it greatly reduces the pressure on your pipes. This is advantageous as your plumbing will function effectively and efficiently for a longer period with no or fewer visits from your plumber to carry out pipe repairs. So here again we see where installing a garbage disposal system can help to save you money.
WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN A GARBAGE DISPOSAL
- Size & Power. You have to choose a garbage disposal that can fit into your kitchen. Its size will also dictate how much waste it has a capacity for. Its waste capacity is also affected by how powerful the unit is. The size that we mention here that is of utter importance is the size of the grind chamber. You will see sizes rated in ounces but this does not refer to the amount of garbage you put into the chamber at one time. This just indicates the capacity for comparison with other models. When it comes to power this is measured in horsepower with a machine having a rating of 1/3 hp being a light duty machine.
- Feed & Grinder. There are two types of feed to choose from and a number of stages of grind, all of which improve the efficiency of the disposal unit. The two types of feed are continuous or batch. With a continuous feed unit you need to start your facet and allow some water to run prior to dropping in waste and starting the unit. Machines with this type of feed are more hygienic since you can clean as you go and are more flexible as well as cost less than batch feeders. A batch feed requires you to fill the machine prior to turning it on. Batch feeders provide the advantage of safety where you are less likely to drop cutler in the disposal which can break the blades.
- Features & Functions. There are a number of features and functions that you want to look out for based on your household and your personal preferences. Most systems require professional installation even for those that are labeled and quick installation you will need a pro for the power connection. There are many features out there; you can choose a disposal with a cover as well as systems that feature auto-reverse that can help to clear jams. Both aforementioned features are good to have if you have kids that may help themselves in the kitchen sink from time to time.
- Price. Value for money is a very important factor to us as consumers. We want to know we are getting the best we can at our price point. If your budget is tight, you live alone or don’t eat at home very often you could do well with a light duty machine as they will do a decent job. But if you have an average size family and do most of your meals at home with just $50 more you could get a stronger model with more features, stronger power, lifetime warranties for more protection and overall peace of mind. And at just $50 more that shouldn’t break the bank or ruin your budget.
Reviews of the Top 5 Garbage Disposals
Waste King L-8000
The Waste King L-8000 garbage disposal is a continuous feed system with a 1 horsepower motor. Its impellers are state of the art and built tough from heavy cast stainless steel material. The impellers feature a swivel anti jam mechanism for robust grinding action. Not only are the impellers made from stainless steel but so are the grinding components. The Waste King L-8000 is sound insulated and features an installed power cord and front mount reset button with plumb EZ mounting system.
Features of the Waste King L-8000
They didn’t make it the Waste King for nothing. This model is packed with features that make ultra-powerful from a strong motor, to corrosion proof grinding chamber and grinding components made of stainless steel this packs quite the punch without all the noise you except from a high power system.
- Powerful Grind. The L-8000 has a 2,800 RPM Vortex permanent magnet motor that is high speed yet energy efficient. Packing 1 horsepower of grinding power it requires 115 volts to operate. The motor offers more power per pound than a number of comparable garbage disposal systems currently available.
- Jam & Mess Free Feeds. This model is a continuous feed system allows you to add waste while the system is running. The L-8000 is designed in a way so that it does not jam and with a removable splash guard there will be no mess flying back out at you.
- Quality Grinding Components. The grinding components will never rust or corrode as they are made from high quality stainless steel. The grinding chamber is made with glass-filled nylon also ensuring no corrosion will take place their either. All components are insulated which also provides you with a quite grind.
Advantages of the Waste King L-8000
- Mess-Free Operation. With a durable and removable splash guard in tact you can add waste while the system is running without any messy backsplash. Once you’re done with the garbage disposal system you can remove the splash guard and clean any residue left behind.
- Quiet Operation. With sound insulation the Waste King L-8000 will provide you with a powerful grind without giving you the noise you would expect from an ultra-powerful 1 horsepower system.
- Easy Installation/Integration. The L-8000 features the easy mount system that allows it to be installed easily and quickly without the need to purchase other hardware. Everything you need for installation comes within the box. The system is safe for septic tanks of an appropriate size and should integrate well into your homes system.
- Lifetime In-Home Service Warranty. Backed by a limited mechanical warranty you know your purchase is protected. There is also a lifetime corrosion warranty. So in the event that your system develops a mechanical problem or starts to corrode it will be replaced in your home for free.
Things to be Aware of
Do note that the Waste King L-8000 does not fit some types of cast iron sinks so you may need to check this before you purchase. You should be able to find another Waste King model to fit your sink if this is the case.
The Waste King L-8000 is undoubtedly a very popular and durable garbage disposal. The customer gratings are great, the price is great and it is a powerful model with advantages such as lifetime mechanical and corrosion warranties.
InSinkErator Badger 5
The InSinkErator Badger 5 is a .5 horsepower garbage disposal that offers consumers affordability. If this is your main concern when purchasing a garbage disposal then this may be the best option for you. The Badger 5 system features rugged galvanized steel motors and delivers exceptional performance with its induction motor. The InSinkErator brand is one that is trusted and recommended by plumbing professionals so you know you are making a good purchase with this and any other InSinkErator item.
Features of the InSinkErator Badger 5
The features of the InSinkErator Badger 5 allow users to get garbage disposal in their home with superior grind and sound quality, durability and an overall good quality product. This product comes with installation instructions, the quick lock sink mount, tailpipe, tailpipe gasket, jam-buster wrench and stopper.
- InSinkErator Grind Technology. The Badger 5 is made with one stage grind technology. Including in the grind system is a GrindShear ring that allows for the grinding of tough foods as the machine virtually liquefies your solid waste and allows them to flow into your sewage system safely.
- Continuous Feed System. The Badger 5 offers convenient waste disposal thanks to its continuous feed system. Keep your cold water running and add waste as you go helping to ensure that your kitchen is always clean and free of scraps and waste.
- Stainless Steel Quick Lock Sink Mount. The Badger 5 features the quick lock s ink mount which makes it super easy for the homeowner to replace any InSinkErator branded disposal system. You simply twist off the old dispenser and twist on the new one and your installation is complete.
Advantages of the InSinkErator Badger 5
- Highly Recommended. InSinkErator is the choice of plumbing professionals with a statistic of 9 out of 10. This goes to show the quality and durability that you get from InSinkErator products and you can expect nothing less from the Badger 5 garbage disposal.
- In-Home Warranty. with an in home warranty you can purchase with confidence knowing that if something goes wrong with the garbage disposal your purchase is protected and your money will not go down the drain.
- Easy Installation. If you are changing out your older InSinkErator model you will be happy to find that installation is a breeze and can be done easily with no professional help. If you are installing the system for the first time you will need professional help even just to ensure that everything is good to go.
Things to be Aware of
Note that this is a budget model and as such will struggle with the likes of corn husks and bones. It is also not as quiet as more expensive models.
The InSinkErator Badger 5 is a budget model garbage disposal that will get the work done and keep your wallet happy. It is a continuous feed system that is easy to install and is backed by a 2 year warranty that includes parts and labor.
InSinkErator has been around for over 75 years and they know the household garbage disposal business. The InSinkErator Evolution is just what you need if you have a kitchen with restricted cabinet space or if you have a small household. The garbage disposal provides advanced waste disposal with a powerful induction motor and cutting edge grind technology and top of the line sound reducing technology. The Evolution offers a ¾ horsepower motor to provide you with all the power you need for your small household’s waste disposal.
Features of the InSinkErator Evolution
Made in the USA, the Evolution from InSinkErator is made with the finest materials. With their state of the art sound reducing technology your garbage disposal operates with minimal sound while still performing effectively. Included with your purchase of this unit is the sink baffle, quick lock sink mount, jam-buster wrench, clamp and stopper, anti-vibration tailpipe mount and your installation booklet.
- Induction Motor. The Evolution features an induction motor which provides superb power for its motor’s capabilities. The motor is a ¾ horsepower motor providing adequate power for household use.
- Multi-Grind Technology. This allows you to not have to worry about what you are putting down your disposal so long as they are food scraps. With two stage grind technology this model features a grindshear ring and tri action lug system. Both systems ensure that your waste is properly ground before entering your sewer system.
- Sound Seal Technology. This technology ensures that the Evolution produces less noise than your standard garbage disposal. With this technology you can hold a conversation in the same room with normal voices while the system is running. Thanks to its design which not only features insulation around the motor but also features an anti-vibration tailpipe and an anti-vibration sink mount which together help to reduce the sound of the vibrations while the unit is running. The sink baffle also plays a role in preventing the escape of sounds while the system is running.
- InSinkErator Exclusive Quick Lock Mount. This allows for easy installation for homeowners that are changing over from other models of InSinkErator garbage disposal systems. It allows you to simply twist out your old one and twist in the new one.
Advantages of the InSinkErator Evolution
- 4 Year In-Home Limited Warranty. This impressive warranty offers free house calls and includes parts and labor for the entire period of the warranty. InSinkErator has a large number of factory authorized service agents that are certified to repair, replace and install their disposers.
- Low Noise Operation. With three different noise reduction mechanisms the Evolution from InSinkErator allows you to run your disposal while being able to comfortably have a conversation in the same room without raising your voice.
- High Power Grinding Capabilities. The multi-grind technology in this Evolution compact allows you to grind apple cores, fruit pits and small bones. Homeowners are cautioned against grinding large amounts of these foods at the same time and remember to always have your cold water running as you grind.
- Environmentally-Friendly. Grinding your waste prevents them from ending up in landfills and helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. This means that not only are you enabling more convenient cleanup with your garbage disposal but you are also saving the environment.
Things to be Aware of
Note that the stainless steel used in this model is 400 grade and will rust over time.
The Evolution is designed for small households and as such is not your most powerful model. It does grind small bones and apple cores but care must be used when grinding these things. The product is backed by a 4 year in home warranty which provides protection to you the consumer so you can purchase this product with confidence.
Waste King L-2600
The Waste King L-2600 is a continuous feed Garbage disposal with a high speed 2600 rpm permanent magnet motor. The L-2600 is septic safe for appropriately sized septic systems and is compatible with dishwashers as well. This unit is compact providing space savings and features an included 36 inch power cord and removable splash guard. With a long backing warranty of 5 years you know the manufacturer is committed to quality.
Features of the Waste King L-2600
The Waste King L-2600 comes with swivel impellers, ABS waste elbow, stainless steel grind ring, sleeve-type bearings, removable splash guard, stainless steel and Celcon sink Flange and positive seal stopper providing all the things you need for installation.
- All Mounting Hardware Included. Your purchase of this unit comes with all the necessary mounting hardware. This means your out of pocket installation expenses are cut down since there is no need for additional parts.
- Top Quality Grinding. The Waste King L-2600 provides superb grinding thanks to its ½ horsepower motor. Not only that but the unit also has stainless steel grinding components and a grinding chamber which is corrosion proof.
- Continuous Feed Grinding. This is a continuous feed garbage disposal which allows you to clean up as you go. Just remember to have that cold water running as you dispose of your food waste with the use of the Waste King L-2600.
Advantages of the Waste King L-2600
- Powerful Grind. The Waste King L-2600 provides more power per pound than comparable models on the market. This is thanks to the Vortex permanent magnet motor that operates at high speeds of 2,600 rpm. Along with this the .5 horsepower motor works hard to grind tough foods while requiring 115 volts to operate.
- Mess & Jam Free Feeds. This continuous feed disposal allows you to add food while the unit is running. With stainless steel swivel impellers there is less risk of jamming and the removable splash guard keeps mess at a minimum.
- Minimal Noise & Wear. Built with top quality grinding components noise and wear is greatly reduced. Grinding components are insulated and the motor is quieter hence reducing noise. With a glass filled nylon grinding chamber there is no risk for corrosion which means this will last you a long time.
- 5-Year Warranty. The Waste King L-2600 comes with one of the longest warranties in the industry. Within those five years, if your unit develops a mechanical or material defect it will be repaired or replaced in your home for free.
Things to be Aware of
Note that the unit is a bit on the large size so you if you have minimal cabinet space you need to check the measurements before purchasing this product.
The Waste King L-2600 is affordable and is backed by one of the longest warranties in the industry. This should tell you that it is a top quality product. Made with the best materials it provides efficient garbage disposal at a great cost. Purchase this product with confidence knowing that the manufacturer has you covered for the first 5 years of purchase.
InSinkErator Evolution Excel
The InSinkErator Evolution Excel is one of the more powerful garbage disposal units from the manufacturer. Backed by an exclusive 7 year warranty you know this is top quality with garbage disposal at its finest. As a part of the Evolution series the Excel provides the highest performance standards in the industry. Made with top quality materials and packed with state of the art technology and features, the InSinkErator Evolution Excel is a contender up there with the best of them.
Features of the InSinkErator Evolution Excel
The Evolution Excel features soundseal technology and three grind technology that makes the garbage disposal stand up to almost any type of food waste. Your purchase of the Evolution Excel includes a clamp, Jam-buster wrench, quick lock sink mount, anti-vibration tailpipe mount, sink baffle and stainless steel stopper.
- Soundseal. With soundseal technology you hear almost nothing. The technology allows the system to operate with less noise than its competitors. The technology has multiple mechanisms for reducing the noise produced. There is the superior insulation around the motor and anti-vibration tail and sink mounts that prevent the sound transmission of vibrations. The sink baffle also helps in reducing noise by ensuring it doesn’t escape through.
- MultipleGrind Technology. The Evolution Excel uses three stage grind technology and employs a GrindShear ring, Tri-Action lug system and an UnderCutter disk. This gives the disposal the opportunity to grind through your toughest food waste and pulverize them enough for them to go through your plumbing safely.
- Jam-Free Design. Thanks to the multi-grind technology you can enjoy a virtually jam-free experience. Just ensure that you don’t overload the fill chamber when inserting items such as bones and corn husks. If there is a jam the jam sensor will automatically increase the motor’s torque to break through the jam quickly and without damage to the unit.
Advantages of the InSinkErator Evolution Excel
- 7-Year In-Home Limited Warranty. InSinkErator exclusively offers you a 7 year warranty on the Evolution Excel model. This warranty includes house calls with parts and labor all for free for the entire 7 year warranty period. This is fulfilled by personnel trained and authorized to install, repair and replace InSinkErator products.
- Powerful. The Evolution Excel grinds everything so if you want a top quality grinder this is a great choice. It grinds bones, corn husks, apple cores and much more hard to grind food waste that your average garbage disposal just will not take care of.
- No Jams. With an anti-jam sensor that will increase torque if it senses a momentary jam or lag in grinding waste. This kicks in automatically and so the motor picks up power to provide what is needed to get rid of your toughest waste then goes back to normal mode automatically once the system is cleared.
- Easy Installation. As is common with all InSinkErator products the Evolution Excel is easy to install providing you the opportunity to even install yourself if you are changing out an old InSinkErator model.
Things to be Aware of
The Evolution Excel is very expensive when it is compared to other units but it can take on much larger tasks than other units.
The Evolution Excel is made in the USA of top quality materials and uses the finest technology. It is one of the best on the market when it comes to performance durability and quality.